GPX navigation with Garmin GPSmap 60CSX?

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

hannesf

GPX navigation with Garmin GPSmap 60CSX?

Post by hannesf » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:38 pm

Hey,

i have a question about navigating along GPX tracks with a garmin gpsmap.
I have used the GPSMap a long time now, but primarily because i can see the display much better then a phone, its qaterresistant, the batterylife is great, and the offlinemaß support is great.
usually i use it to calculate the route on the device directly, but now i want to use the TET gpx track to navigate through the balticum.

Is there any tutorial for navigating using a GPX track? The Problem i have is, that when i open a gpx track, follow it and then for example quit navigation i have to restart from the beginning the next time i start the navigation...

Whats the typical process for you GPXmap users to navigate along a GPX?

Cheers and thanks!!!
0 x
bobtail

Re: GPX navigation with Garmin GPSmap 60CSX?

Post by bobtail » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi,

The problem with this device is that it's limited to 500 points per track and the TET track for Belgium has many thousands. When you transfer the GPX file, it will reduce those thousands of points to 500. The problem then is that the device will try send you not from point 1 to point 2, but on a straight line from point 1 to point 10, missing out on points 2 - 9. In the open desert this is fine, but not on the TET, where it's not uncommon to be making turns every few 100m.

Practically this means that the line on your map will be going through all kinds of places you can't go. Instead of going round a lake it will try to send you across. Instead of around a barbed-wire field it will try to send you through it. If you load up the track at home and then zoom in, you'll see it's not following any roads of trails at all.

There is a (complicated) solution and that is to split the TET track in to many individual tracks of 500 points each. You can do this in a text editor (gpx is basically xml). But even then your device can only handle 20 tracks (of 500 points each), and those 10.000 points may not even be enough to cover what you plan to ride.

If you have a smartphone, there are plenty of apps that can handle the TET track, like maps.me, Guru maps and Motion-x GPS. The two latter especially are excellent. To attach your smartphone, get a RAM mount or Quadlock.

Sad truth is that for this kind of use, a 100EUR smartphone is now far better than any GPS device could be.
0 x