OSMand - Route or Track

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

David Potter

OSMand - Route or Track

Post by David Potter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:07 pm

I am at present using the Osmand app on an android phone.
I would like to know why the TET GPX files should be followed as a Track and not a Route.
It seems easier to follow when they are a Route, because you get a more definite course to follow with arrows on screen giving you warnings of turns etc ahead.
Thank you in advance for all replies.
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Re: Route or Track

Post by Redballrun » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Routes usually require underlying routable roads in the basemap. Many tracks that TET uses are not shown on the basemaps. This confuses the software and reroutes taking you via roads in its database rather than the ones you see in front of you
0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
David Potter

Re: OSMand - Route or Track

Post by David Potter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:18 pm

Thank you.
0 x
David Potter

Post by David Potter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:28 am

Redballrun,
I have been following the TET gpx file on my android using Osmand, and it seems to follow the gpx line without any deviation. I have been waiting for it to 'trip' me up, but so far has not done so. and if I do go wrong, the TET line is still visible for me to go back on !
I will carry on evaluating this.
1 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:34 am

David Potter wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:28 am
Redballrun,
I have been following the TET gpx file on my android using Osmand, and it seems to follow the gpx line without any deviation. I have been waiting for it to 'trip' me up, but so far has not done so. and if I do go wrong, the TET line is still visible for me to go back on !
I will carry on evaluating this.
That's because the TET track you have been following is following roads on the digital map. As soon as the road becomes a goat trail that is not on the map a route will calculate a different path to follow via roads that are on the map. In other words all will seem well perhaps for a couple of hundred K's until you reach that goat trail. This has nothing to do with OSMand but it is the way navigation works on all devices. Here's how it works

Having said that OSMand does have some sort of offroad routing instructions which I personally find irritatingly terrible and confusing and totally inaccurate.
0 x
David Potter

Post by David Potter » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:55 am

So what you are saying is that depending on what App I am using, I will get a different route/track/path/course to follow.
And not know if I am following the original TET GPX file line (route/track/path/course) meaning none of us will be following the same exact line (route/track/path/course), but we would not know that we are on the wrong line (route/track/path/course), unless we use the same software/equipment that the original TET GPX file was made with.
0 x
webmonstro

Post by webmonstro » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 pm

David Potter wrote:So what you are saying is that depending on what App I am using, I will get a different route/track/path/course to follow.
And not know if I am following the original TET GPX file line (route/track/path/course) meaning none of us will be following the same exact line (route/track/path/course), but we would not know that we are on the wrong line (route/track/path/course), unless we use the same software/equipment that the original TET GPX file was made with.
No
If you use a track you will follow a line on the screen . That line is the track and will be the same no matter what app or device you are using
If you convert a track to a route then you will get different results from the one app to another

Enviado do meu MYA-L11 através do Tapatalk

0 x