Motorbike strorage - legally

Who, what, why, our ethos, aim and FAQs
Tornado_Claire

Motorbike strorage - legally

Post by Tornado_Claire » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi TET community - a question of legal stuff if you dont mind...

Im coming over from Canada with a Chilean registered bike yes i - rode it from Chile to Canada. After doing the Continental Divide in the US, the TET seems the best way to get across Europe. Its currently stored in Canada (kind of legally - well, a year over its allowed stay but thats something il try my luck at at the border - maybe il be fined, maybe not, im leaning on the good will of the Canadians with that for the future) :)

Anyway - enough about he back story - question is, on finishing up the TET, id like to store the bike once again before im ready to come back and ride over East (you know - Mongolia way).

Now, does anyone know of which country i can legally leave the bike for an indefinite amount of time? Il probably cater my route with to end in this country.

Ive done it in Mexico - in what they call a 'free state' - Quintanaroo is just over the border from Belize where no permit is actually required.

With my bike being registered (in my name of course) in Chile, i imagine il be doing a bit of paperwork at borders here and there. Il be travelling on either an EU or Australian passport (dual citizen) - which ever proves to be more useful (probs EU ). I guess an option for me is to register the bike in the UK (I am English) then i can leave it in a Euro country with no hassles. BUT that will be a bit of expense AND i really really really want to keep my Chilean plate on that bike.

Its all about trying to keep it legal - any ideas? Thanks is advance
Claire
0 x
Speedy

Re: Motorbike strorage - legally

Post by Speedy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:48 pm

Wait for the end of Brexit , then your Chilean /UK bike will see .
same for UK passport , after Brexit , we must see what implication there might be .
most probably , you must pass from the immigration counter , and get all stamps at each border .
at present , with a UK bike and uk passport , you are free to go any where in Europe .
but with a extra european vehicle , I remember a 6 month free permanent stay , in Italy .
over that period the vehicle must leave the country .
but it may be different in other european countries .

bye Renago
0 x
Tornado_Claire

Re: Motorbike strorage - legally

Post by Tornado_Claire » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks Renago - yep BREXIT screws us all over eh
0 x