Any tips, mates?

Moderator: Rev

Hkon89

Re: Any tips, mates?

Post by Hkon89 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:53 pm

TriumphantTiger wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm
I am also very interested in this, especially if the southern part of the trail can actually be done on street tyres (and I'm not asking if professional riders could do it, but if your average Joe could).
I will be doing the complete southern part in mid August and currently have the dilemma that my street tyres, with which I bought the bike in January, are still in excellent condition, and I would prefer not to waste a perfectly good set of tyres.

My experience level is limited, some limited off-road (gravel roads and some single trails), with one off-road training coming up this weekend.

@edgar, maybe I will run in to you on the trail :)

Thank you!
Hey, my gf and me did the first 1/5th of the southern part of the Norwegian TET this spring. We were quite inexperienced at the time, kinda like how you describe yourself. I would not have done the TET on street tires. My gf had some Michelin AC 10 knobbies (I think) on her WR250R, and I was running a Mitas E10 front and E09 rear on my DR650. Those tires were very good, especially in the sandy and muddy areas. I have no experience with 50/50 tires, but next time I will hopefully be able to test some, to feel the difference. We still had to work to get through some of the areas, it would definitely not have been fun on street tires. Especially if it rains, which you should be prepared for, it can get quite interesting. At least for someone with little experience. If I were you, I'd change tires to at least 50/50 tires, and save the street tires until you get back home, or sell them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByN_EdXB5He ... j94kxihz8r

If this link works, this was one of the more demanding parts we did. And some of the most fun I ever had on or off a motorcycle!

Anyway, good luck and enjoy, we loved the small part of the TET that we did. We got hooked on this kind of riding, and will definitely explore Europe through the TET next summer.
0 x
TriumphantTiger

Post by TriumphantTiger » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:05 pm

Hkon89 wrote:
TriumphantTiger wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm
I am also very interested in this, especially if the southern part of the trail can actually be done on street tyres (and I'm not asking if professional riders could do it, but if your average Joe could).
I will be doing the complete southern part in mid August and currently have the dilemma that my street tyres, with which I bought the bike in January, are still in excellent condition, and I would prefer not to waste a perfectly good set of tyres.

My experience level is limited, some limited off-road (gravel roads and some single trails), with one off-road training coming up this weekend.

@edgar, maybe I will run in to you on the trail :)

Thank you!
Hey, my gf and me did the first 1/5th of the southern part of the Norwegian TET this spring. We were quite inexperienced at the time, kinda like how you describe yourself. I would not have done the TET on street tires. My gf had some Michelin AC 10 knobbies (I think) on her WR250R, and I was running a Mitas E10 front and E09 rear on my DR650. Those tires were very good, especially in the sandy and muddy areas. I have no experience with 50/50 tires, but next time I will hopefully be able to test some, to feel the difference. We still had to work to get through some of the areas, it would definitely not have been fun on street tires. Especially if it rains, which you should be prepared for, it can get quite interesting. At least for someone with little experience. If I were you, I'd change tires to at least 50/50 tires, and save the street tires until you get back home, or sell them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByN_EdXB5He ... j94kxihz8r

If this link works, this was one of the more demanding parts we did. And some of the most fun I ever had on or off a motorcycle!

Anyway, good luck and enjoy, we loved the small part of the TET that we did. We got hooked on this kind of riding, and will definitely explore Europe through the TET next summer.
Hi hkon,
Thank you for the reply and the link to the video!
That does look pretty impossible on street tires.

In the meantime I have decided to change tires, which is happening today, and I'll be getting the Michelin anakee adventure. Hopefully I'll be able to tackle everything on these Image

I'll be starting the southern part of the trail on the 17.08., let me know if you're in the area and want to join :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

1 x
Hkon89

Post by Hkon89 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:53 pm

That's good to hear, let us know how the tires perform!

I don't remember my schedule for that weekend right now, but if I get the time, I'd love to join you for a day or two!
0 x
TriumphantTiger

Post by TriumphantTiger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:04 am

Tried the anakee adventures out during an off-road training, surface was gravel, deeper loose gravel, some wet soil (slippery as hell) and mud.
On gravel, both just a shallow layer and on deeper loose gravel the tyres performed really well. Even managed to get up muddy slopes if I managed my speed, and the slippery wet Earth was manageable with very low speed and a lot of concentration.
Feeling confident about the tyres :)
0 x