Any tips, mates??

Moderator: Rev

León Bocanegra

Any tips, mates??

Post by León Bocanegra » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:01 am

Hello mates!
I, ll ride all the Finland TET from e next May in my way to Cape Nord riding all TET.
Any tip about level of riding?. I, m experienced but not a pro.
For wild camping what about? Crossing enougft villages for to buy food?
Price about petrol?
All the way is off?

Cheers
0 x
Rev
Administrator

Re: Any tips, mates??

Post by Rev » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 pm

I haven't ridden all of the TET, but I think I'm not going out on a limb when I say that Finland is one of the easier parts of the trail. You can find further info on this (and on wild camping) here: https://www.transeurotrail.org/finland/

You will absolutely come across enough villages to buy food, but I do advise to keep enough water and some rations with you at any time. You never know when you are going to break down...

Petrol should be around 1.72-1.75 right now? Maybe one of the locals can chime in on this one...

You will cross tarmac every now and then. More often so in the South than in the North.
0 x
No guts, no glory :D

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
sam1

Post by sam1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 am

Hi,

Agree with rev on everything above. Gasoline price is currently 1.45 - 1.65 (98 octane), see polttoaine.net .

In may you might still have some (off)roads blocked by snow in the very north but those can be passed through alternative roads since all normal roads will be open.

Sami
0 x
León Bocanegra

Post by León Bocanegra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:18 am

Gasoline price is less than I thought. Blocked roads in May by the snow... it will be a big adventure.
Sami, what, s the real temperature at night in May in the wild?
0 x
León Bocanegra

Post by León Bocanegra » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:20 am

Can I make fire in the wood in Finland? Or it, s forbidden everywhere, only in the sighted places?
0 x
sam1

Post by sam1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:16 pm

I think in south and central Finland it's fairly rare to have minus degrees in may even during the nights but it can be just a couple of degrees on plus side. Days can be like 10-20 degrees.

About north I can't really tell, sorry.
Maybe someone can fill in and correct me if needed.

About making fire, I think it is ok unless specifically denied due to weather conditions. And in may it can be very dry so could be forbidden.
Anyways you need to be very careful. There are lots of laavus and huts in Finland where you can camp and that have fireplaces.
Pls see this website for more info: https://www.nationalparks.fi/hikinginfi ... ommodation

1 x
Tommitomminen

Post by Tommitomminen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:10 pm

If there is a place for the fire then it is ok but normally you would need a land owners permission. Camping stoves and burners are ok if it hasn't been dry for weeks.

Lähetetty minun FRD-L19 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

0 x
León Bocanegra

Post by León Bocanegra » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:12 am

Ok, thanks for answering, mates.
0 x