The following instructions may/will also apply to loading onto other Garmin units but they need to be units that accept tracks of up to 10,000 track points.
I give a variety of methods to use depending on whether you have Basecamp or no Basecamp installed on your PC/Mac and whether you have a card reader.
NB: if you have an expensive Garmin or third party map on your microSD Card, don't mess around with loading things to the microSd card by any method.
These methods work for me ( I usually use Method 1 with the card reader - much faster) but I take no responsibility for anyone experiencing disasters!
These instructions apply whether you use a PC or Mac.
Method 1 - No Basecamp software required
1. Go to relevant TET country page
2. Scroll down till you see the yellow box stating "Download GPX track"
3. Click on this button
4.Read and agree to conditions and click on "I agree" button
5. Wait for file to download to PC/Mac.
6. If you have a card reader: a. remove MicroSD card from Garmin unit, insert in card reader and insert card reader in PC/Mac
b. In Explorer/Finder, if there is not one already, create on the microSD card a folder called Garmin and in that a subfolder called GPX
c. Cut and paste downloaded file from PC/Mac to the GPX subfolder on the MicroSD card.
d. Eject MicroSD card/card reader from PC/Mac and reinsert microSD card in Garmin unit and turn on.
e. Navigate on Garmin Montana to "Track Manager".
f. Click on relevant Track and click on "Show on map".
g. Repeat f. as many times as you want.
h. Go ride the TET
7. If you have no card reader: a. Connect "off" Garmin unit to PC/Mac with USB-MicroUSB cable
b. Unit should show on screen the word Garmin with a funny trident below it.
c. Open Explorer/Finder and you should see two new drives: Garmin and No Name (or whatever your microSD is called)
d. Open the No name (microSD card) in explorer/Finder
e. Ensure there is a folder called Garmin and one within it called GPX. If there aren't then create them
f. Cut and paste the downloaded GPX file from your PC/Mac to this GPX subfolder.
g. Eject Garmin and No Name (microSD card) from PC/Mac (if this is tricky on Mac then just close down the Mac)
h. Disconnect the Garmin from the PC/Mac and turn it on
f. Navigate on Garmin to "Track Manager"
g. Click on relevant Track and click on "Show on map".
h. Repeat g. as many times as you want.
i. Go ride the TET
Method 2 - with Basecamp loaded on PC/Mac
1. Follow stages 1-5 of Method 1
2. Open Basecamp
3. Create a New List and call it after the country you are dealing with
4. Import into that list the downloaded GPX
5. Connect Garmin Montana to PC/Mac, wait for it to establish connection (Screen says Garmin with funny trident picture below)
6. Highlight relevant List
7. Click Transfer, Send to Device, select the No Name/MicroSD card in the drop down menu that appears and check the tracks and waypoints boxes in the pop up box then Send.
8. Eject Garmin and No Name (microSD card) from PC/Mac (if this is tricky on Mac then just close down the Mac)
9. Disconnect the Garmin from the PC/Mac and turn it on
10. Navigate on Garmin to "Track Manager"
11. Click on relevant Track and click on "Show on map".
12. Repeat 11. as many times as you want.
13. Go ride the TET
Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it
1 post • Page 1 of 1