End of Feb - Opportunity?!

Moderator: Simon_100

p3nzancef1ier

End of Feb - Opportunity?!

Post by p3nzancef1ier » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:49 pm

All,

I have been lucky enough to scramble some leave at the end of Feb (Specifically 26 - 05 March ) which ties in nicely with a Portsmouth - Bilbao sailing. I am intent on doing some of the TET but would appreciate any views on what might be the 'recommended' (or passable even!) chunks over that period. I have to be riding back on the 04th which limits me slightly, and most probably to the Great northern routes .

Timing is slightly awkward but will be the last opportunity I have for a long time, I will be on my GSA that I have been lucky enough to take around Morocco a couple of times already. In addition my expectations of comfort are absolutely minimal.

Any advice is gratefully received!

Yours,
P3zancef1ier
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Re: End of Feb - Opportunity?!

Post by Simon_100 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 am

Hi there,

Firstly, late February is usually a lovely time of year, certainly not spring but the countryside is coming to life with furze on the shrubs and buds growing on the trees. But it will be cold, repeat, cold, both riding and at night so you should be prepared ...

East or west? Well the further west you go the more likely it is to bet wet, but that's not so probable at that time of year and you can make your mind up as you cross the Bay. The wet weather comes in off the Atlantic while the TET is on the southern i.e. landward, face of the Cordillera Cantabrica so is less prone to wet weather.

Timewise, the easiest solution to time limits is to ride the trails as far away from your ferry as you can before turning back by road, which unlike the trails has a predictable time frame. Coming back along the north coast you can wing it along the motorway, 'Autovia A8', which runs from just west of Gijón all the way back to Bilbao - and it's free! - but you also have the option of riding the amazing roads in the mountains themselves. The regions of Asturia and Cantabria are effectively closed to trail riding but the roads are fantastic, as is the scenery, but pack for wet weather ...

Eastwards you're on low lying terrain all the way to the Bardena Blanca desert, which makes a good 'goal'. Likewise you can easily join the motorway network to head back as these are always within an hour's ride or so from the TET.

Riding the TET up into the Pyrenees would be very prone to weather, there may be laying snow and if there is precipitation is likely to be snow. But all of the roads will be open unless it is actually snowing so a road tour back to Bilbao popping too and fro across into France is an option - note that it is often wet and foggy over there while in Spain it's usually lovely and sunny - oh, and did I mention cold? - but during high pressure - normal for the time of year - the valleys have persistent freezing fogs while up on the heights you're in bright sunshine, I'm looking at it now out of my dining room window! :) Enjoy

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
p3nzancef1ier

Post by p3nzancef1ier » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Simon,

Thank you so much for your reply. Based on that and my limited time I am going to stay to the West, particularly now as I have a pal coming out to meet me in San Sebastian. What are those western trails like on a big bmw? Thinking I may avoid the more slippery ones this time!

Tom
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Tom, copying my reply to a similar question,

Regarding your question. The North Route was designed by John Ross in collaboration with two Spanish riders, one form the Basque Country and one from Galicia.

Since then we have made a few changes following feedback but these have almost all been access issues rather than difficulty. The clearest feedback about using big bikes has been to say that the only problem with taking a GS would be having difficulty picking one up on your own, so I think you can take that as a 'yes, it's OK!

Have fun. The weather here has been fantastic so far this month! :)

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)