TET onto Google Maps

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

mitchelmores

TET onto Google Maps

Post by mitchelmores » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Is there any way I can load the TET (for Spain) onto Google Maps? I know the country TET map uses a version of Google Maps but it cant show detail like is it a road or track and bookmarks etc.

I'm already sorted for my on-bike navigation with Maps.me but I prefer Google Maps on my PC to plan where to stay and look at places on interest etc en route.

Thanks
0 x
chelmi_ouest_coast

Re: TET onto Google Maps

Post by chelmi_ouest_coast » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Online ? with http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ but the gpx of spain is very big, perhaps is not work correctly

Ciao,
0 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

I just managed to do the map of italy. The .GPX was 10Mb but when I converted it to .KMZ it was only 770kb
I also used http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Make sure you choose google earth as output file. I found it you choose google map, the site wants your google API and will probably link things up in the background. Only share API's when you need to repeatedly link services and do so only when there is no other way. This is IT security advice from a pro.
The .KMZ file loads just fine (at 770kb size) and you have it for ever in google maps.
I have not tried it but I am hoping to avoid buying a dedicated nav device to use the much more detailed . GPX file.
I guess the only downside is that TTBOMK you cannot create a .GPX file so you cannot help out TET by annotating and updating maps. Sorry guys.
0 x
mitchelmores

Post by mitchelmores » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for suggestions: I couldn't get gpsvisualizer to work but as mastercore suggested using Google Earth Pro with a GPX converted to KML and 'roads' turned on works well. I am now realizing a lot of the Spain TET seems to be tarmac :(

Mastercore, IMHO satnav's for offroad are a waste of money. I use Maps.me with downloaded maps, tracks on .KML's, a handlebar mounted Android phone and it has worked well in UK and Spain. Some riders in my club use Garmin Montana's but they are such a PITB to setup they have to goto full day teach ins!
1 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:38 pm

I have not got much experience with using any nav offroad. I am more the freeballer and then try and figure out where I am when I am lost.
I just loaded OsmAnd on to my android phone. Still dont know much on how to use it but looks sexy. I could not seem to find out how I can record a track on it. Any pointers?
0 x
Explorer

Post by Explorer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Hi mastercore,
what ist your AP on the androide phone to use the OSM maps ?
0 x
Nico-D

Post by Nico-D » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm

mastercore wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:38 pm
I have not got much experience with using any nav offroad. I am more the freeballer and then try and figure out where I am when I am lost.
I just loaded OsmAnd on to my android phone. Still dont know much on how to use it but looks sexy. I could not seem to find out how I can record a track on it. Any pointers?
I believe you have to enable the track recording widget first so look in settings somewhere. Sorry can't be more precise as I don't use Osmand myself but a mate of mine has been trying it out on his phone and we had to enable the widget ( think that was what it was called ), anyway seemed to work fine after that.
0 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:49 am

Code: Select all

I believe you have to enable the track recording widget first so look in settings somewhere
I do not know about this yet. I just loaded the app on my phone and played with it while riding. Google maps is better in this because OsmAnd does not seem to follow you as you move over the map natively (no track active)
I also have not yet tried to record a track. Seems not so obvious how to do this but I found something in the menus that looked like could be it. Need to test more.

Code: Select all

what ist your AP on the androide phone to use the OSM maps ?
@Explorer, I am not sure what you are asking me. What is AP?
0 x
uglymr

Post by uglymr » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:53 pm

For offroad routing I am using Osmand+ which is the paid version (in German language) and for me works like a charm after fiddling around a lot in settings of Osmand. Took me quite some months to find all settings which I need for my routing!! And it works completely offline!!
Most important settings for me are under Map configuration, Display configuration, my places and Navigation settings. This might not be exactly named the same in english or other language version of Osmand+
Routing itself is only possible for short distances of about 150 km max. (Unless you install BRouter but that was too much of a hazzle for me) For me it works very well for following just a track like TET. You can set color, width and so on of the track to make it look the way you need it to be. You can even have Osmand+ do the routing on the TET track. This will give you turn by turn info along the track.

Navigation can be done by different profiles like car, motorcycle, bycicle, pedesstrian and some more...and for each one you have to finetune all the Navigation settings.
The overall settings like Map configuration and Display configuration will work the same under all navigation profiles.

What I also like is that you can easily display overlays in the map like gas stations, campground, shelters, barbecue spots and much more and even a personal mixture of overlays. This works thru the search of overlays, where you can define what you want to display. You just have to go deep enough into the different overlays...

Also important are the widgets (tracking, parking position and some more), which you have to (some of them) download and activate each one.

Other Apps I tried but in the end stayed with Osmand+ are: Viewranger, OruxMap, LocusMap.

I do onroad routing with the app Kurviger (I think it is called Cruiser in english language) It has nice settings, is easy to work with and finds you very nice roads in an area that you are not familiar with. Also offline!!
0 x
Cheers Ugly Martin Reichardt
CCM 450 GP
bobtail

Post by bobtail » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:50 am

@mitchelmores - to see the TET on google maps the easiest solution is:

- Visit google.com/mymaps (this is NOT the normal Google Maps)
- Create A New Map
- At the top left you'll see the "layers" and a link to "Import"
- Select the TET gpx track

The track and all waypoints will then be displayed on the map. You can add your own waypoints, driving directions or whatever else you want. Great for getting a general overview, planning, etc.

Here's an example of the TET Belgium map

1 x