TET onto Google Maps

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

mitchelmores

TET onto Google Maps

Post by mitchelmores » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:20 pm

Is there any way I can load the TET (for Spain) onto Google Maps? I know the country TET map uses a version of Google Maps but it cant show detail like is it a road or track and bookmarks etc.

I'm already sorted for my on-bike navigation with Maps.me but I prefer Google Maps on my PC to plan where to stay and look at places on interest etc en route.

Thanks
0 x
chelmi_ouest_coast

Re: TET onto Google Maps

Post by chelmi_ouest_coast » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:26 pm

Online ? with http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ but the gpx of spain is very big, perhaps is not work correctly

Ciao,
0 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 pm

I just managed to do the map of italy. The .GPX was 10Mb but when I converted it to .KMZ it was only 770kb
I also used http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Make sure you choose google earth as output file. I found it you choose google map, the site wants your google API and will probably link things up in the background. Only share API's when you need to repeatedly link services and do so only when there is no other way. This is IT security advice from a pro.
The .KMZ file loads just fine (at 770kb size) and you have it for ever in google maps.
I have not tried it but I am hoping to avoid buying a dedicated nav device to use the much more detailed . GPX file.
I guess the only downside is that TTBOMK you cannot create a .GPX file so you cannot help out TET by annotating and updating maps. Sorry guys.
0 x
mitchelmores

Post by mitchelmores » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks for suggestions: I couldn't get gpsvisualizer to work but as mastercore suggested using Google Earth Pro with a GPX converted to KML and 'roads' turned on works well. I am now realizing a lot of the Spain TET seems to be tarmac :(

Mastercore, IMHO satnav's for offroad are a waste of money. I use Maps.me with downloaded maps, tracks on .KML's, a handlebar mounted Android phone and it has worked well in UK and Spain. Some riders in my club use Garmin Montana's but they are such a PITB to setup they have to goto full day teach ins!
0 x