The full Monte

Multi-Country trip planning. Find buddies for your very own TET-à-TET

Moderators: Don T, Froggy

Lizzard323

The full Monte

Post by Lizzard323 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm in Florida and need suggestions on riding the TET.

I am in the initial planning stages of riding the entire TET. It would be done over one month at a time while stopping to enjoy the sights. I have a KLR650 that I rode to Tuktoyaktuk this last June and the TAT a few years ago. It has 61,000km and I know it well. Too big? Too heavy?

If I wanted to ride the entire route where would y'all suggest I start and end?

If the start was in Spain (looking at the TET map) could I fly my bike into somewhere close to the start? Are there any big issues in doing this? Should I buy a bike there instead? I know once I bring my bike in it might have to stay when I am done years later.

Are there places to "store" the bike enroute? I know of the great place in Croatia.

There are no doubt many things I have not considered but those issues above get me started. I would like to start this May and be there a month to five weeks.

Thanks,
Eddie
0 x
Lizzard323

Re: The full Monte

Post by Lizzard323 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 pm

You know, as I continue to research this adventure I see the "search" function on the FB page so I search KLR650 and it seems to be an ok bike for the TET. I will bring some parts but mostly see bringing what I need (or think) when I come over each time. Not a big deal. Bigger things like flying it in and where to start to ride the whole thing.
0 x
Don T
Linesman

Post by Don T » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:07 am

As you plan on riding the entire TET, you might as well just start wherever it's easiest/cheapest to fly your bike.
May is a good time to ride most of the track, except high mountains and the northern most part.
0 x
Riding a Super Ténéré - if it was good enough for Stéphane, it's good enough for me :lol
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Guillaume Montreal

Post by Guillaume Montreal » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Hello Eddie,

I know its not very close, but flying your bike out of Montreal (my hometown) or Toronto is about the cheapest you can get, with Air Canada "fly your bike" program that run every summers. It's also very easy. Here's an ADVrider thread on this: "https://advrider.com/f/threads/fly-your ... m.1283632/".

Im also thinking about riding the entire TET with my WR250R. I'm currently looking at starting in Frankfurt around the end of August, embarking on TET going east to do the East Europe portion going south (Poland, Ukraine, Romania, etc.). I know this is different from you actual plans, but maybe our plans will align at one point.
0 x
Lizzard323

Post by Lizzard323 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Early June 2019 I am shipping my bike to Ireland. Riding around there for a month then storing in Cork. I guess when I go back to pick it up a few months after that I can start the TET in England, store again in Cork then next trip over ferry to Spain and do that. Hell, I don't really plan that far out. Too much trouble and things change.
0 x