Italian alps in Spring 2019

Multi-Country trip planning. Find buddies for your very own TET-à-TET

Moderators: Don T, Froggy

mastercore

Italian alps in Spring 2019

Post by mastercore » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi, am looking to do a stretch of the TET in the lower Italian alps (assuming there could be snow at higher levels) sometime in Spring 2019
Trip duration 1-2 weeks
Anytime in April-May
Would be interested to go with others.
1 x
ccmGP450

Re: Italian alps in Spring 2019

Post by ccmGP450 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi,

I was with my ccm GP 450 on the Mair-Stura, Ligurian Cross-Border Pass, Susa Valley. I've briefly checked the Italian TET and its running on that roads / in the similiar region I crossed 2017/2018. The altitude are sometimes 1800m - 2400m or even on the Sommeiller 2900m. I doubt that is feasible in early Spring (april / may). Nevertheless I'm interesseted to put some gravel under my wheels and willing to swing a shovel when needed - this will be an entertaining excercise.

My current setup for the ccm is dry-bags, small tent no cooking gear/chairs, Garmin 64 (offroad navigation), TomTom Rider (onroad).
The ccm is a quite capable travelling bike (125kg dry weight, around 140 kg with fuel/liquids).

I do have some expierences in offroad riding, but I'm definetly no racer / cross guy. I enjoy riding on organized rides in Mecklem-Burg Vorpommern (eastern germany - lots of sands, forrests). The ccm (no luggage) is holding up well with all the fancy KTM EXC, BETAs, Huskies. I mostly use the bikes on trips in the alps.
I crossed with it this year the ski-resort Plan Bouchet to Val Thorens (Haute Savoyen) and rode some smaller trials like the Punta Mulattiera (susa valley).

For more serious trail riding I use my KTM Freeride 350.

Cheers
0 x
Speedy

Post by Speedy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:04 pm

Very much depends on snow falls of the season .
but I strongly doubt that you can make the Italian TET in May .
definitely NOT the western part .
Starting from Garessio , At the very best you can reach km 139 , which is aprox 2027 mt .
after that you can ride till Damonte . After this town you must pass at Km 235 a mountain pass of 2400 mt .
NOT possible in that season .
pls consider that some alpine pass ONLY OPEN from 1- July .

if your goal is to ride the TET , sorry .
But if you are willing to have a nice ride the lower side of that region can give superb views and tracks in that season .

we will certainly make some rides anti clockwise , starting from Milano , in that season .
It is too early to pin point exact date right now .
But keep posted .

Bye Speedy
0 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 am

Plans have changed and now looks like it will be in late summer/autumn. This way the higher trails will be clear. Also looks more likely I will do the part west of Lugano.
0 x
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Hello,

please update your travel itinerary.

Maybe I'll find a slot of 1 week to join you.

Andrea.
0 x
chrishimself

Post by chrishimself » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:11 am

Same here. Keep us posted. I could join
0 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 am

Just came out of a 2 week (16 days) crazy garden project at my place!
All I have seen is dirt and rocks all this time.
I now realise with shock and dismay that it must be the longest stretch I have not ridden my bike in a very long time!

OK back to subject at hand...

My initial plan was for a 7-10 day tour of the western Italian TET starting from Lugano.
The route is following TET and the start point will remain the same, it is just a matter of timing.

Lugano is comfortable one days ride for me (270km staying off the motorways, shorter if I use them)
So what I am trying to say is that I am not so ridgid on timing. I have my own business and have some freedom with taking time off work.
I would say many of you guys are more restricted on timing, so I am up for shorter trips as well. Of say, 3-4 days or so, which may make it more interesting for others to join.

I am open to ideas.

pls keep in mind I have a heavy bike, not some feather weight hard enduro machine. But I can handle it OK offroad.
0 x