Charging phone on an olschool kickstart bike without battery

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

Nepomuk

Charging phone on an olschool kickstart bike without battery

Post by Nepomuk » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Hey guys,

I'm considering of buying an older Enduro like the Honda XR 600 R or Suzuki DR 350. Those bikes usually come with kick starter only. I however need to charge my phone and navigation equipment, so I'd need some stable 12V. Until now I just connected a standard waterproof 12V car connector to the motorcycles battery. But what do I do if the bike doesn't have any? Do Kick starter bikes even have standard 12V DC current where I could hook it up to?

Thanks for your comments in advance!
0 x
Nico-D

Re: Charging phone on an olschool kickstart bike without battery

Post by Nico-D » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:13 pm

The issue is not so much having a battery or not it's that often enduro bikes with no battery will have un-rectified ac voltage straight off the alternator to power the lights. In fact even some newer enduros with e/start and batteries still have a/c power for the lights, my '08 Beta does.

If you go for the trail version of the DR 350 then no problem as even the kickstart versions have a battery and DC lighting. No experience of XR s, think it depends on the market they were sold in, I believe Australian ones had dc lighting whereas USA versions had ac only.

I don't know where you're based but my advice would be to buy a trail rather than enduro bike if you prefer the older simpler style of bike, XT /TT600, Dr 600/650, DR 350 trail etc. I know they're heavier and suspension isn't as good but they have proper lighting, stronger subframes for loading luggage etc.

When it comes to wiring in your gps, usb , I prefere to take the live feed off of a switched source such as the sidelight to the headlamp ( with an inline fuse ) that way it can't drain your battery when the engine is off.
0 x
Nepomuk

Post by Nepomuk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for those infos nico. I'm in Austria and I'm on a budget, XT 600 is also on my list. I didn't know kickstart - only bikes have a battery sometimes. In that case I'll look out for that. As long as there is a battery there's no problem.

In my previous bike I went directly to the battery since I wanted to charge my intercom during breaks without leaving the ignition on.
0 x
alanholt

Post by alanholt » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Have you considered a solar backpack? The KTM X-Country Backpack isn't cheap, but it has a solar panel and a 5000mAh battery built in. There are cheaper ones from other manufacturers which don't have a battery, like sunnybag.com . Or you could get a freeloader solar powered battery bank and secure it to the top of your luggage to charge through the day.
0 x
Self-catering accommodation along TET Catalunya, Spain - www.goodlifefarm.es
Nepomuk

Post by Nepomuk » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:37 pm

alanholt wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 pm
Have you considered a solar backpack? The KTM X-Country Backpack isn't cheap, but it has a solar panel and a 5000mAh battery built in. There are cheaper ones from other manufacturers which don't have a battery, like sunnybag.com . Or you could get a freeloader solar powered battery bank and secure it to the top of your luggage to charge through the day.
Thats a good idea, thanks. Not happy though to have to carry additional gear. In order to work properly, also in non-perfect conditions it probably would have to be considerably huge.

I suppose a serious power bank would be the more practicable idea when travelling in areas where you can find a plug to charge it every few days. 30.000mAh power banks cost around 30€, so that would be my first option I guess. 50.000mAh ones start around 100€ but that would last for weeks when only used for phone and navigation. Weighs 1,5kgs though.

Cheers
0 x
StefAr

Post by StefAr » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:42 pm

A solar power bank might be a good solution. Light and not very expensive.

https://www.survivalrenewableenergy.com ... ower-bank/
0 x
nitinpatel

Post by nitinpatel » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 am

For charging phone and other devices it is good to use renewable sources. When I am out for campaign I mostly prefer solar power bank to charge my device.
0 x
Thecrazybuyers is your ultimate stop for iPhone and Android Accessories, Laptop, smart home accessories, wearable, and other health and fitness gadgets.
Busta

Post by Busta » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:13 am

I re-wired my enduro bike with a regulator rectifier to provide DC electric for the lights and charging. Its not too difficult if you have the right tools and mindset.
I'm fairly sure you could also wire a small regulator rectifier into a new sub-loom just to provide the dc for charging your devices, whilst keeping everything else on AC. You would need to get one with the same number of yellow wires (phases) as you have wires from the stator- either 2 or 3. I fitted the reg rec in the airbox with a small NiMH 12v battery.

If you want to read up on it there's lots of information here, and they sell everything you would need to do it : https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/rexs-technical-support/

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

0 x