X grip mount and / or cat s30 phone

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

bumble beemer

X grip mount and / or cat s30 phone

Post by bumble beemer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Contemplating using a smartphone for navigating . The Cat s30 looks suitable as its waterproof , rugged and appears to be glove friendly for zooming in and out (although I do not have first hand experience of this).

Only problem is I can’t find a suitable dedicated holder for it to fit , ideally , my ram mount .

Anyone used an X grip universal holder for their phone whilst green laning ? Is the grip strong enough to hold the phone over bumpy conditions ?

Any views or shared experiences would be appreciated.
ImageImage
0 x
padowan.si

Re: X grip mount and / or cat s30 phone

Post by padowan.si » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 pm

I use an Xgrip. It holds my phone perfectly securely for laning, and is be holding my phone for the next 2 weeks on the TET. The only downside is that you have to position the phone carefully otherwise the arms of the xgrip can press the buttons on my phone (lock/volume) where they're placed.
0 x
Paul C

Post by Paul C » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:11 pm

I made my own phone holder to fit to a ram ball. However, I've ridden with a friend in the Pyrenees who used a X mount with no issues. I've used a Doogee S60 for the last 8 months, on trails, roads, in the UK and around the wider Alps. Excellent so far.
There are lots of good navigation apps available. After using a few I've settled, for now, on LocusMaps Pro for trails and general use. Also for a to b road riding Kurviger is excellent at finding those "interesting" roads
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
Womble

Post by Womble » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:45 pm

I have used the X-Grip on my trans-Pyrenee in 2015. It held a Sonim XP7 - quite a heavy phone - with no issues. Yes, you need to watch out a little not to press any button with one of the 4 rubber feet.

I now got a no name model with an incorporated USB charger.

Also +1 for Locus - a fine solution for navigating offroad.
0 x
Rata desierto

Post by Rata desierto » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Idea is good, but the S30 is a lousy phone. Too slow for EVERYTHING. No probs though using the Xmount
0 x
Nepomuk

Post by Nepomuk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am

Guys, how do you charge your phones in case it rains? Waterproof phones either have rubber plugs for the charge port or turn the charge port off when wet. I need my navigation to work during rain also...
0 x
GiantRobot

Post by GiantRobot » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:06 am

CatS41 + XMount user here, Charging port is at the bottom, never had any issue with rain.
0 x