Wild fires and fire prohibition

Moderator: Rev

Karin

Wild fires and fire prohibition

Post by Karin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:44 am

Hi all,

TL;DR Can I use camping stoves in Finland and/or are there any active wild forests I need to dodge along the trail?

I'll be heading over to Finland this weekend and considering the extreme situation we have in Sweden at the moment (very hot temperatures, wild fires and open burning prohibition orders more or less everywhere) I've been trying to find out what the situation is like in Finland. I've found this site (in Swedish, sorry) http://sv.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/varningar and it seems like there is a quite high risk of forest fires over there as well. In Sweden you're not allowed to even use a camping stove and I was wondering if it's the same i Finland? Would appreciate if anybody could give me a quick report or point me to where I can find more comprehensive info on the matter.
Thanks!
0 x
Andrew Dalton

Re: Wild fires and fire prohibition

Post by Andrew Dalton » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:24 am

I am in southern Finland right now. I am not riding but I am on the train from Helsinki to Turku. Conditions are dry but much greener than UK. I can see from Finnish news that Lappland has problems with on going wild fires.
0 x
I agree to abide by the TET Code of Conduct.
Husqvarna 701 and FE 350
Andrew Dalton

Post by Andrew Dalton » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:33 am

http://www.nationalparks.fi/hikinginfin ... /campfires with a link to Finnish meteo office which tells you region by region fire risks. I hope to do the Nordic Loop, either Norway or Swedish TET and back along Finnish TET next year. Please pass on any wisdom you gain. Onnea.
0 x
Husqvarna 701 and FE 350
Karin

Post by Karin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks for the info Andrew. Looks like I'll have to be cautious.
Will try and do a proper report of my trip, hoping it would be useful to others!
0 x
Andrew Dalton

Post by Andrew Dalton » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 am

I am looking at the route on Google earth. It seems largely gravel roads, which should mean good progress. Good luck and please post some pictures.
0 x
Husqvarna 701 and FE 350
Karin

Post by Karin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pm

A little late report coming in here. There were no fires along the track when I rode it 2 weeks ago. The southern parts was quite dry so I kept from making open fires unless it was very sheltered and secure, used my camping stove though. There didn't seem to be a fire ban but hard to say since I don't know the language. But it was raining quite a bit as I was riding through the northern parts so wouldn't worry too much in those areas.
According to the site I linked to earlier it doesn't look like there is any risks of forest fires at the moment but of course it's always good to be careful.

Some photos as promised^^
1 x
Andrew Dalton

Post by Andrew Dalton » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 am

Beautiful pictures. Is it all gravel track? I am doing this next year and thinking about tyres. I will have some 1000km of road before I join TET Sweden, then coming down from Lappland via TET Finland. Looks like a 50 50 type of tyre will be fine.
0 x
Husqvarna 701 and FE 350
Karin

Post by Karin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:36 pm

It's mostly gravel, some tarmac and some grassy, potentially muddy forest tracks. It was very dry when I was there though and in such conditions 50/50 tires should be perfect. There are a few places where it could be tricky if it's really wet but definitely doable :) I met 2 guys on big bikes with 50/50 tires and they were fine (although much better riders than I), but again, dry conditions.
0 x
Andrew Dalton

Post by Andrew Dalton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks Karin. I'm on either a 701 or a Husqvarna 350 but one of my riding buddies, hopefully, will be on a KTM 790 Adv from the KTM press fleet. Hopefully it will be dry, but if it isn't, well, it is more fun. I think the Katoom will have TKC80s, which aren't bad in mud. My other buddy will be on a Nomad 701. If it's wet we'll go a bit more enduro on the tyres.
0 x
Husqvarna 701 and FE 350
sam1

Post by sam1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi,

I think 701 and 790 are just perfect bikes for Finnish TET. I have not ridden all of it myself but the parts I have done those bikes are great and so for the parts I have heard of.

BR Sami
0 x