From Denmark to the Baltics

Multi-Country trip planning. Find buddies for your very own TET-à-TET

Moderators: Don T, Froggy

Hkon89

From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Hkon89 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Hey everybody,
My gf and I are planning a one month trip next year. We're meeting in Denmark, or possibly northern Germany (I'm going for a two month trip to Morocco and southern Europe first). From Denmark/Germany we have planned to follow the TET through Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, before taking the ferry to Sweden and riding back home to Norway. According to the time recommended by the linesmen for each country, we should be able to make it in one month. However, I'm not sure what speeds the linesmen are keeping compared to what we will keep. Therefore we're open to skipping some parts, the question is which parts?

For those of you who've ridden these trails, are there some parts that's not as fun we can skip to make time?
Also, any tips for tires? Is Mitas E07 good enough, or should we go for E09? And are there any places along the route that is good for getting new tires, if we need to change?
0 x
Navrix

Re: From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Navrix » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Regarding Baltic region (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), - in my opinion Mitas E07 tires will be not good. enough. Mitas E09 will be definitely better choice!
It depends from the weather conditions, but usually autumn season is quite wet and muddy here in Baltic region in the forest sections and Mitas E07 will not work here properly and even could be dangerous on slippery wet grass and mud.
If you will run out of time and you'll be forced to skip some sections in Latvia, then following part, which is shown below, is quite boring, with a mostly lot of long gravel roads (I could say the same about the Lithuanian TET, which is closer to Latvia border). The next sections - from the North West - heading to the East - are really enjoyable. Do not skip it! :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZMDsL ... L64YCL8Dy2
Last edited by Navrix on Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Hkon89

Post by Hkon89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Navrix wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm
Regarding Baltic region (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), - in my opinion Mitas E07 tires will be not good. enough. Mitas E09 will be definitely better choice!
It depends from the weather conditions, but usually autumn season is quite wet and muddy here in Baltic region in the forest sections and Mitas E07 will not work here properly and even could be dangerous on slippery wet grass and mud.
If you will run out of time and you'll be forced to skip some sections in Latvia, then following part, which is shown below, is quite boring, with a mostly lot of long gravel roads (I could say the same about the Lithuanian TET, which is closer to Latvia border). The next sections - from the North West - heading to the East - are really enjoyable. Do not skip it! :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZMDsL ... L64YCL8Dy2
Thanks a lot Navrix, and sorry for replying so late, been busy the last couple of weeks. We will probably try to get som E09's or similar, hopefully it's not too difficult finding a place where they sell some if we need to change tires underway. We'll keep in mind the sections you're proposing to skip and not to skip ;) Looking forward to a great adventure next summer :D
0 x
Sukke

Post by Sukke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am

Hkon89 wrote:Hey everybody,
My gf and I are planning a one month trip next year. We're meeting in Denmark, or possibly northern Germany (I'm going for a two month trip to Morocco and southern Europe first). From Denmark/Germany we have planned to follow the TET through Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, before taking the ferry to Sweden and riding back home to Norway. According to the time recommended by the linesmen for each country, we should be able to make it in one month. However, I'm not sure what speeds the linesmen are keeping compared to what we will keep. Therefore we're open to skipping some parts, the question is which parts?

For those of you who've ridden these trails, are there some parts that's not as fun we can skip to make time?
Also, any tips for tires? Is Mitas E07 good enough, or should we go for E09? And are there any places along the route that is good for getting new tires, if we need to change?
What I have been riding at Baltics and Poland, I wouln’t run neither or Mitas tires you have planned. Ground can be very muddy and slippery, especially, when wet, quite different to most of, what I have seen at Norway and Sweden, or Finland where I live. Problem with e07 is, that it is too closed and with e09 that it has no grip on sideways, when it gets slippery. As you don’t tell your bikes, I can’t recommend tires, but my opinion is, that you need more knoppy option.

Sent from Tapatalk
0 x