Section CH-ITA-3-2 (Gondo-Borgosesia-Bardonecchia) with Africa Twin?

Moderator: Azoto

StehtimSchilf

Post by StehtimSchilf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 am

Hello TETs

I ride a 2017 Honda Africa Twin with Heidenau K 60 tires. I'm wondering if the sections from Gondo (Switzerland) - Borgosesia - Bardonecchia - Monte Jafferau and Assieta are suitable for an ADV bike like the Africa Twin?

I've downloaded the GPX and it seems there are no dangerous, extremely hard or hard way-points on these sections.
  • Is this assumption correct?
  • What do you think about riding these sections alone?
thank you & cheerioh
SiS
0 x
Honda Africa Twin 2017, manual transmission
mastercore

Re: Section CH-ITA-3-2 (Gondo-Borgosesia-Bardonecchia) with Africa Twin?

Post by mastercore » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 am

Hi,
I was in this section of Italy TET about 3 weeks ago. I also ride a Honda Africa Twin with TKC70s. Similar tyres I guess, you may even have more offroad bias than me. (BTW how do you find these tyres on the road?)
I Started in Arona and got to the Alpe Soglia mountain climb (Corio)
I was also traveling alone with about 20kg luggage which included camping gear.

First it was a blast. I loved it. Some sections were quite challenging, but I never felt that I was taking huge risks and I always thought that in the case of being stuck, I would find some locals that could help me out.
There are some points I missed because of of warnings in the GPX files and when I got to them I thought it be better to go around. (I cannot find and example now on google maps for some strange reason)

I made a 8min vid of the ride but Youtube did not like it so it lives on a enduro chat group in Telegram. Here you will see how some sections of the trail look like. You are welcome to join it. (https://t.me/joinchat/H9nNCxUcgqBhvFVoPRdyDQ) my handle is Mastercore. You should find my video in there somehwere.

btw: I had planned to do the whole western section of the Italy TET but ended up turning back at Soglia because of an injury to my left wrist. Also I went the week before we had the heat wave in Europe, so lucky I was not on the trail through 40dec heat!!
0 x
Mariu

Post by Mariu » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 pm

hello you can easily do with that bike and those tires, which I remember there is only one passage to be careful in the woods near Lake Viverone if you are a beginner in off-road.
is indicated on the track
if you need help, work permitting I live near Vercelli

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
0 x
siri

Post by siri » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:03 pm

I am planning the Italian TET with K60 tires too, beginning in Bardonecchia/Susa with a KTM 1190 - at least for me bike & tires are more capable than the rider anyway ;)

For Jafferau circuit ccw, Sommeiller, via del Sale and the likes I hope the K60 should be ok in dry conditions and with some experience. They have decent traction on gravel, even dirt and ofc on asphalt. However as a compromise tire they're not perfect offroad and due to the middle band (at least in my size) they have their limits in wet mud and grass. Therefore if it rains, I won't push it and may leave out some of the critical sections - especially if they are very steep (i.e. the western descent from jafferau) or angled sideways. Better self-cleaning though on the K60 than TKC70.
0 x
mastercore

Post by mastercore » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:10 pm

I think it is far more the rider than the bike, or the tires. I am far from a good rider, but I am always ready for a challenge. This part of the TET was great fun (except for the crazy temps back a few weeks ago. I almost cooked in my jacket).
I look forward to coming back and continuing another time, maybe when it is cooler.
1 x