TET Amiens to Clermont Ferrand

Moderator: Froggy

Andy Simpson

TET Amiens to Clermont Ferrand

Post by Andy Simpson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Thought I would share my experience on 7 days trip down through France on a Ktm 690 rally raid.

Pros

Great way to see northern France rather than blasting through en route to Alps/Med/Pyrenees etc.

No agro, the (very) few other users all friendly.

Easy routes.

Cons

The routes were either field boundaries or gravel trails to wind turbines. Two shallow river crossings and a couple of sections through woods.

Some large parts were entirely on road whilst there appeared to be many alternative (off tarmac) options.

Despite a lot of research it was not that clear that section 3, 5 and 8 were so easy and sorry to say a bit dull. I accept that my expectations may have been too high, living in the Derbyshire Dales/Peak district.

The TET is a fantastic project and France is a beautiful place and i am keen to support. This narrative is simply to offer information to others considering the same sections.

Other points:

Fitted new Heidenau K60 tyres and was very impressed on/off road, wet and dry. Marginal wear and no squaring after 2k miles. Cheap cheap as well.

Will avoid P&O in future (DFDS instead). I got caught in storm Miguel and arrived in Calais to try and get earlier crossing - they wanted £120 to alter booking by 2 hours (for 1 bike - seriously !?).

690 gave average of 65 mpg - can’t argue with that !

Andrew.

Ps - if anyone coming this way wants a guide or just a riding buddy let know.

Happy TET ing.
0 x
Tipmethewink

Re: TET Amiens to Clermont Ferrand

Post by Tipmethewink » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:24 am

I think you probably stopped at the point where it starts to get interesting. The stretch down from CF around the Dordogne is very good and the terrain much more varied but I concur with your observations.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 x
Andy Simpson

Re: TET Amiens to Clermont Ferrand

Post by Andy Simpson » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Bugger, still there’s always next year - but I think I’ll trailer/van bike down - it’s a bloody long ride on a single !!!
0 x