WK 400 & Honda Rally ride Le Harve towards Calais April 2019

Dramas, anectodes, and fairytales. Cock-and-bull stories, too.

Moderator: Oleksii

Glenn_G

WK 400 & Honda Rally ride Le Harve towards Calais April 2019

Post by Glenn_G » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm

WK 400 & Honda Rally ride from Le Harve east towards Calais, France during April 2019

Day 1 Thursday 18th Apr 2019

Me and Roy leave Milton Keynes early evening and ride south to Portsmouth.
We meet up with Simon on the Wharf road before boarding the ferry.
On board we have a meal and pop to the bar for the usual couple of pints.
Also grab a pringles plastic lid and cut out a crude washer from it as I needed a shim washer to stop my helmet camera slipping on its mount.

125miles / 200km

Day 2 Friday 19th Apr 2019

Feeling good we roll off the ferry with anticipation of a great weekend of exploring more trails, but struggle to follow the TET route at the spagetti junction going east out of Le Harve. During this detour and back tracking we pull over off the hard shoulder to discuss route/maps etc and I notice a little smoke/mist rising from the engine with a smell of hot oil - nothing obvious so we carry onto somewhere safer to investigate. We manage to get on the right road south over the Grand Canal Du Harve and pop into the Aire De La Bai De Seine where I check it has oil, if anything it has been over filled and explains why some of it is escaping, I felt like a right plonker :doh

Later on we stop for lunch in the woods east of Lisieux between Hermival-Les-Vaux and Ouilly-Du-Houley

South East of Lisieux between D75C & D75 Roy's pannier bags caught a tree stump and nudged him off, this happened just before a steep narrow descent. I was already at the bottom unsure what had happened, and it was too narrow/unsafe to ride back up the hill - in case I met them coming down !, so I hiked back up. I used to think I was fit but not after walking up this hill :D We soon had his bike up and all met at the bottom.

Not long after passing the Paris - Cherbourg railway line in the direction of Saint-Denis-de-Mailloc Simon has an off on the slippery mud, he soon rights the bike and get some nifty Loctite 3090 on the broken indicator and afterwards hard to tell it'd been fixed.

Later on that afternoon we've been discussing at stops how long to keep riding for, and nearing 5pm heading south west towards Vimoutiers we decide not to follow the TET route south into town. Instead we head into town via the quicker northerly road route and end up at Camping Municipal La Campière

https://www.campingfrance.com/uk/find-y ... a-campiere

after checking in and returning to the bikes, Roys bike starts smoking near the handlebars and rear seat. Appears something had shorted out as some burnt out wiring found in the extra wiring for gps, heated grips, spot lights, usb charging etc. The damaged wiring was removed and a single 12v supply made up out of the bits we had :

We were thankful we decided to stop early and head for the campsite, and didn't push on the TET some more as we could have been stuck in a remote area with a smoking bike, or worse ... :angry-fire:

By the time we'd our pitched tents, and I'd swapped my front sprocket to lower the gearing it was gone 7pm.
I popped out to get some food & wine but the super market closed at 7pm :hrmpf

96miles / 154km

Day 3 Saturday 20th Apr 2019

In the morning we back track on the road to where we left the TET yesterday, and heading south west pause to see the Tiger Tank south of the town which has an interesting history :

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/61/T ... utiers.htm

Lunch stop in the woods approaching Mardilly

Having left Saint-Evroult-Notre-Dame-Du-Bois and heading in the direction of L'Aigle We came across a nice trail between trees with leaves on the ground and Roy slid off on the soft wet going. Me and Simon stopped to help Roy lift his bike up which was tricky in the soft going. We then walked back to our bikes and no sooner had we commented about how easy it would be to fall off on this stuff, Simon did fall over whilst pulling away at less than 5mph, comical stuff :D

Later on in the afternoon heading for Rueil la gadeliere along a nice grassy trail Roys bike stops, forget why but quickly sorted and we're on our way.

Early evening and we divert off the TET and look for a campsite, initially found Camping Municipal Saint-Remy-sur-Avre but it was closed (opens 1st May iirc). We then headed further east and found Camping Etangs de Marsalin in Vert-En-Drouais open :

http://www.campingdemarsalin.fr/le-camping.html

103miles / 165km

Day 4 Sunday 21st Apr 2019

Campsite morning view

breaking camp mid morning

We got back on the TET but soon come across these interdit a tous vehicules a moteur / forbidden to all motor vehicles signs on a section of the Aqueduc de L'Avre (have emailed Ben this info).

Then not long later stopped to take some pictures of the aqueduct

seemed Roys bike didn't want to leave this nice spot as wouldn't start due to no power

turned out his isolator switch had failed open circuit, so this was bypassed and we got on our way

then passing through Fortisle over the river Blaise south of Dreux, Simon pulled over with a rear pinch puncture, he soon got the rear jacked up

then soon had the tube out, patched and back in the wheel

By lunchtime we had finished section 8 past Coulombs south east of Dreux, and were now heading north on section 1. We recognised some of these sections as we'd done them last Easter (in the reverse direction) and some sections were new for this year. Heading north with a little diversion at round Houdan to Maulette for some fuel and icecreams :D before picking the TET backup again. Further north we detour off the TET at Limetz-Villez and head to Saint Marcel near Vernon for Camping des Fosses Rouges campsite

http://www.sna27.fr/Tourisme/Camping

100miles / 160km

Day 5 Monday 22nd Apr 2019

Last day and a poor picture of the rising sun whilst having breakfast

Roy looks animated here talking to Simon, might of been about his sidecar

We then picked up the TET at Limetz-Villez and followed it north up to Beauvais, by which time it was early afterrnoon and We decided to go by road now as time was getting on. We all filled up with fuel (and a front sprocket change for me) and we were on our way via Grandvillers, Airaines, around Abberviller and onto the EuroTunnel at Calais.

100miles / 160km

Then we're back in the UK and Simons off to a B&B to do some of the GB TET tomorrow on his way home south west, whilst me and Roy make our way back to Milton Keynes well before midnight for a change :D.

130miles / 208km

Total trip 654miles / 1046km

Thanks to all the linesmen who make these trips possible, especially Ben Smith and John Ross.
1 x
simon p

Re: WK 400 & Honda Rally ride Le Harve towards Calais April 2019

Post by simon p » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Many thanks for the report (must sort my camera out ) good few days my mileage door to door was 1054 Spain next !
0 x
kevingrahambutler

Post by kevingrahambutler » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Good write up guys, I used the wk400 in Morocco against three ktms three years ago, I like too think any bike will go off road just some bikes do it better than others, I thought my skills off road will make up for the bikes short falls of the wk400 against the ktms, well the biggest problem was the fact the suspension kept bottoming out so I couldn't keep up with the other bikes, i sold the bike to a mate and went with a crf250 rally with a 300 engine installed, Hogan suspension set up, what can I say fantastic, loved it so much I bought the crf250l with the same set up for the wife, waiting for time off so both of us can hit the tet
0 x
Glenn_G

Post by Glenn_G » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

cheers Kevin, agree about the WK suspension if pushed/loaded up and am looking to improve it, but for now :mhm will keep it as I like the lazy torquey engine. Good to hear you like CrfL/Rally's they do seem to tick a lot of boxes and are very popular, and a few others have also gone down the 300 kit route. You have pm.
0 x