Fire risk?

Moderator: fulviapaulo

Didado

Fire risk?

Post by Didado » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:12 am

On the official Portugal TET page is says: "October to May. June to September is too hot and forbidden in many of the interesting areas due to summer fires risk."

Does that mean certain parts of the Portugal TET are actually forbidden if you happen to ride there in september?

And is the Portugal TET doable on heavier bikes (1000 cc+) with riders with experience? I know, this question is hard to answer because it all depends on the word 'experience'. But an indication of how hard the track is in general would help.

Thanx
0 x
fulviapaulo
Linesman

Re: Fire risk?

Post by fulviapaulo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Hi Didado.

Regarding your first question. The stated period is the normal period where there are restrictions to the use of unpaved roads. It might be changed according to weather conditions. This year, unfortunately, was very bad in what wildfires are concerned, with over 100 deaths and a huge loss of forest, housing and even industrial properties. There were 2 great events that resulted in that, in June and 15th October, plus the hundreds of smaller forest fires that occurred all summer long.
http://www.euronews.com/2017/10/16/dead ... hern-spain
We are crossing a severe drought with some dams under 15% of capacity. Thankfully it started raining yesterday.

Back to the question. Yes there are restrictions and forbidden areas during those risky months. Natural parks and areas especially. That being said, 2nd half of September is usually ok to ride offroad but things can change. You have to bear in mind that during summer it's not unusual for temps to reach over 40ºs in some parts of the country. So, our opinion is to avoid Portugal during summer unless you want to do some beach vacation and proper food and wine :lol

Regarding the bike... difficult question. People have been doing parts of the TET track for years in all sorts of bikes but always in a small group and being ready to detour to the next available road when things go south. So, if you are comfortable with this and your riding skills and won't bother a few scratches on your GS go ahead! Would I recommend a big trail to do the TET? Never! Is it doable with a big trail? Most of it yes!

Hope I wasn't too tedious. If I can help in any other questions, just say it!

Cheers
Paulo
1 x
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
2006 BMW GSA1200
2003 Yamaha TT600RE
Didado

Post by Didado » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:55 am

Thanx, Paulo. That's very clear and I understand the issues with the fire risks.
0 x
Dimen

Post by Dimen » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am

What about traveling in late march or early april. What are the average temperatures?
0 x
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 am

Hmmm...

I'll be on the Portugal TET in the second half of September 2018, on my 1150GS (and I'm struggling daily to think about anything else :P )... I'm doing it all wrong... :handgestures-thumbup:

If it's been dry, and there are fire-risk restrictions, we'll bail out and use paved roads.

My 1150 already has scratches - not overly bothered by a few more. Again, if the going gets too tough (either for me or the GS), I'll just bail out to paved roads.

Seems loads of folk have multiple bikes, including one for just TET work. I have one bike, for everything.

Mark
0 x
fulviapaulo
Linesman

Post by fulviapaulo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:09 am

Dimen wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:48 am
What about traveling in late march or early april. What are the average temperatures?
Obviously it depends! No correct answer to that... There have been years with heavy snowfall (for our meager standards) in the north and east, but, also some years where all the beaches are full with temps reaching high 20°s.

I'd say to be ready for rain and mild temps during the day and colder but bearable nights. I'm afraid but at this distance it's very dificult to guess how the year will be!
1 x
2006 BMW GSA1200
2003 Yamaha TT600RE
fulviapaulo
Linesman

Post by fulviapaulo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 am

Phaedrus wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:34 am
Hmmm...

I'll be on the Portugal TET in the second half of September 2018, on my 1150GS (and I'm struggling daily to think about anything else :P )... I'm doing it all wrong... :handgestures-thumbup:

If it's been dry, and there are fire-risk restrictions, we'll bail out and use paved roads.

My 1150 already has scratches - not overly bothered by a few more. Again, if the going gets too tough (either for me or the GS), I'll just bail out to paved roads.

Seems loads of folk have multiple bikes, including one for just TET work. I have one bike, for everything.

Mark
Seems a sensible choice :handgestures-thumbup: Just be prepared to whatever we may throw at you!

Don't be afraid to try some tarmac routes. Not as good as the tracks but you might get a surprise :mhm
1 x
2006 BMW GSA1200
2003 Yamaha TT600RE
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 am

Have fun Mark but please remember that a bike trapping your leg under it on a remote trail or a bike in a gully on a ragingly hit day can be a whole load of trouble and risk if you're on your own.
2 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:14 am

Wouldn't go off-road alone. There'll be two of us on this trip. And I imagine the chances of meeting others on TET trails will only increase as it gets more popular...
2 x
fulviapaulo
Linesman

Post by fulviapaulo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:10 pm

Obviously I assumed (not without risk) that you wouldn't do it alone... What John says is clear and something anyone should always remeber.
1 x
2006 BMW GSA1200
2003 Yamaha TT600RE