Is SPOT Necessary?

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

DavidADV

Is SPOT Necessary?

Post by DavidADV » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Hello,

What's the necessity for using a SPOT? I've had people recommend getting one, and it seems that a Garmin or other device does the same kind of geocaching functions to track my route. SPOT does seem to have good emergency features that I'm not sure if Garmin offers. Other than that, is there a reason why I couldn't use a Garmin or a smartphone in lieu of a SPOT?

Thanks!!
0 x
stefanvujovic

Is SPOT Necessary?

Post by stefanvujovic » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 am

For me SPOT is a must, i ride alone too often. Emergency features is my purpose why I have a SPOT.
1 x
simon p

Re: Is SPOT Necessary?

Post by simon p » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:22 am

I have a Garmin inreach thankfully never used it ,depends on whether you ride alone and where . Both use GPS for a signal not phone masts the Garmin you can send text messages and friends can track ,not sure of the SPOT
simon p
1 x
DavidADV

Post by DavidADV » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:03 am

So if I had a Garmin would a SPOT be obsolete?
0 x
Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm

The spot uses a different satellite network to the inReach and doesn't have such comprehensive cover though I think the difference is pretty academic. Also, there have been some stories floating about on the Internet recently about failures that have occurred when finally needing to use the sos functionality of devices. I'd suggest having a search. I'd also be inclined to do a search for subscription renewals too as that seems to leave a pretty sour taste for a lot of people.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 x
DavidADV

Post by DavidADV » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Tipmethewink wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:16 pm
The spot uses a different satellite network to the inReach and doesn't have such comprehensive cover though I think the difference is pretty academic. Also, there have been some stories floating about on the Internet recently about failures that have occurred when finally needing to use the sos functionality of devices. I'd suggest having a search. I'd also be inclined to do a search for subscription renewals too as that seems to leave a pretty sour taste for a lot of people.

Subscription renewals for the SPOT or for the Garmin?
0 x
Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:24 pm

For the spot. Have a search on adv rider.

0 x