Clothing and such.

Clothing, protection and getting yourself ready for your TET adventure

Moderator: Spietfriek

Pingvin

Re: Clothing and such.

Post by Pingvin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Do you think so? I would say the A-10 chest protector is fine and even covering the side ribs well, better than most full pressure suits.

But the Badlands chest protection is to flimsy, anything is better than nothing, I'll give Klim that, but coud be more substantial. Maybe add a sheet of hard plastic on top would help distributing load and piercing from sharp stones etc but havent bothered so far. Also like the long back protector on Badlands. And build in kidney belt. Guess just have to ride more careful than when wearing pressure suit.

0 x
2010 KTM 990 SMR - 2008 KTM 690 Enduro - 2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
dragos

Post by dragos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Pingvin wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 pm
Do you think so? I would say the A-10 chest protector is fine and even covering the side ribs well, better than most full pressure suits.
I'm talking especially about size on the vertical axis, I would want it to cover more of the abdomen.
Also, the side plates seem kinda lame implemented as they could be pushed into your ribs. The Leatt does this better, as the side plates come over the chest ones. But I don't like anything else about the Leatt.
0 x
Pingvin

Post by Pingvin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm

Yeah, had the Leatt 5.5 Pro HD Chest Protector, didn't like it either.

Think the rib protectors on the A-10 is OK. Main problem is pushing your own elbow into ribs in crash (done that without rib protector, hurt to laugh for a few weeks) and the protectors cover that area so don't think it will push the end into ribs really. Though, of course an infinite number of scenarios so guess could be a weak point as you point out, there's a gap in the hard armour.
0 x
2010 KTM 990 SMR - 2008 KTM 690 Enduro - 2017 KTM 450 EXC-F
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 pm

Ok I have an idea now, as I already have the Ortema chest protector plate and Orthomax Jacket, but also the KTM Rally jacket with its protector pockets, whereas the pocket for the back protektor is way too small.

I could get an extra Ortema P1 proctor, which is also combinable with the chest protector. I could wear my Merino shirt underneath then.
The protectors for shoulder and elbow could be within the KTM Jacket then. With this solution I wouldn´t have to peel out the Orthomax jacket at every stop and also don´t need to wear an extra functional layer and also the odor problem of the safety jacked will be gone.

Good idea ? :handgestures-thumbup:
0 x
dragos

Post by dragos » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:50 pm

*kartman* wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 pm
I could get an extra Ortema P1 proctor, which is also combinable with the chest protector. I could wear my Merino shirt underneath then.
The protectors for shoulder and elbow could be within the KTM Jacket then. With this solution I wouldn´t have to peel out the Orthomax jacket at every stop and also don´t need to wear an extra functional layer and also the odor problem of the safety jacked will be gone.
Good idea ? :handgestures-thumbup:
This is how I rolled last season: Ortema chest protector + Knox MetaSys back protector, shoulder protectors in the jacket, separate elbow protectors (Dainese V E1). I prefer to not have the protectors in the jacket, but I have no solution for shoulders ATM.
All this works but it's kinda convoluted to put on.
That's why I'm leaning towards an A* A10, but the coverage and quality of protection back+chest will certainly be lower than what I have now.
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:24 pm

How do you wear your Ortema chest plate with the back protector ? I got my P1 light and like it so far, but can't figure out how to proper "mount" the chest protector ...
0 x
dragos

Post by dragos » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:18 pm

*kartman* wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:24 pm
How do you wear your Ortema chest plate with the back protector ? I got my P1 light and like it so far, but can't figure out how to proper "mount" the chest protector ...
The Knox back protectors have a strap system that I like better than what's on the market, as the straps attach to the front of the belt. This also allows you to easily cross (X) them.
Maybe that's possible with the Ortema as well.
0 x
Moo.

Post by Moo. » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Do hard plastic armours offer any abrasion resistance? Im looking to wear an armour suit with a mx jersey over the top as a comfort/protection compromise in hot weather.

Just concerned about the small tarmac sections. Ive got a forcefield pro shirt but its only soft armour and the suit wouldnt hold up much down tye road
0 x
NomadLad

Post by NomadLad » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Anybody got any experience with the forcefield Pro Shirt XV2?
http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/pro ... x-v-2/2474

I've also been looking at the Knox Defender Elite...

I'm trying to find an upper body armour shirt that I can layer upon?
0 x
Paul C

Post by Paul C » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:34 pm

I've got the earlier version. I believe the chest and back protection is now lighter and more effectively vented. It needs to be! Mine is good, and it works, I've thumped down on some hard trails a few times. However, in hot weather it can be a bit much with an abrasion resistant jacket over the top. In the heat, and when touring, I wear a Klim Badlands. Essentially because it can keep me warm and dry as well as being well vented. Ok, the chest protector is thinner and the arm protection less secure, it's a compromise. I also use Forcefield knee tubes and Knox defender shorts. Both are good but the protection in the shorts is a squeeze to remove and replace.
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II