Good TET bikes but why ?

Off-Topic stuff

Moderators: Don T, Froggy

Nomad

Re: Good TET bikes but why ?

Post by Nomad » Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm

i'd say my KTM 690, well I would as it's what i've got

Lynx fairing with HID dip beam (so I can still travel after dark)
Protection in the form of Cycra handguards, G-IT Bash Plate, Rally Raid Products billet brake pedal (to resist bending)
Extra Fuel due to Rally Raid Products Evo 1 tanks (22 litres in total)
Touratech pannier frames and panniers (I prefer soft panniers but they came with the bike)
G-IT rear rack
Currently has Metzeller Sahara tyres which to be honest are less than ideal

My 690 somewhere very close to the TET near Buxton

Although to be honest so far I've only ridden the TET in the Peak district on my 450EXC Rally bike, which is perfect for day trips:

My 450 possibly close to the TET in Portugal (I have no idea where I actually was when this picture was taken on the Tour of Portugal in 2016)

0 x
Tony Ferrari
www.nomadracing.co.uk
KTM 690 Enduro & KTM 450EXC Rally
dibbs

Post by dibbs » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi Nomad
What mods did you need to turn your 450 into a rally/adventure bike?
0 x
Meetchee

Post by Meetchee » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi guys,
this year I'm going to ride the TET from Italy to Greece on a little CRF 250 L but before telling you about this bike, I need to tell you about my previous bikes because that influenced my choice now. I started riding when I was 14 years old, I competed trials then enduro in Belgium for about ten years. Then I bought a Suzuki DR650SE, a great bike which would be perfect for the TET I think. I travelled long distances with this bike, I was very happy with the engine but I had some reliabilility problems with it. I think I would have bought the same bike if it was still for sale in Belgium, but it wasn't. So 5 years ago I bought a KTM 690 enduro, great bike but its defaults - too high, stalls easily, doesn't turn and way too powerful- forced me to sell it and find another bike. I was looking for a bike which could tackle little singletracks we have here in Belgium and travel long distances. This little CRF could do it, Honda quality, little maintenance low fuel consumption, so I bought it brand new for 4000 euros. It can ride everywhere, fast trails or hard single tracks, it perfectly fills my needs because I wanted a light bike (I usually travel on my own) with nearly no maintenance and no special and expensive preparation. I know I'm like an ET here because a lot of people now ride with big bikes probably because they think a little bike can't do long distances.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsd188fld6abq ... 8.JPG?dl=0
2 x
Staubteufelchen

Post by Staubteufelchen » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:55 am

Hi Meetchee,
that's a good bike, if you don't have to be the fastet.
For nearly the same reasons, I still rely on old aircooled 350 enduros.
0 x
Meetchee

Post by Meetchee » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi Staubteufelchen,
I partially agree with you because being the fastest is first a question of technique, it's not only a question of power, on tecnichal trails I can ride faster with the Honda than with the 690 I previously had. Why? Simply because you can easily master the power on the Honda and also because 23HP is largely enough where I ride in the Ardennes in Belgium, a very technical terrain in general, lots of tight singletracks with slippery stones and a lot of mud, too...
I also remember when I was young, I used to buy a cheap bike between the race seasons, I once had an XR 125 and my friends who rode top enduro bikes ( in the 1980's) were all kidding me, but not for long simply because they couldn't follow me!
But now is a different time, I bought the Honda 250 first because you can ride for a long time without any maintenance. And I don't care about going fast or not, when you ride 4500 km in a row, you've got to be careful. Check out the video I made when I crossed Spain from north to south and back : https://youtu.be/1-jJCXv0WmI
By the way, what's your bike?
0 x