Good TET bikes but why ?

Off-Topic stuff

Moderators: Don T, Froggy

Ard
Linesman

Good TET bikes but why ?

Post by Ard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:26 am

Post a 1 or two pictures of your bike and tell us why it is such a good bike for the TET.

My wife and I both ride a much modified BMW G650 XCountry
Luggage racks, extra fuel tank, 21" front and 18" rear wheels, Suspension done front and back by Hyperpro and some different plastics.

Why are they such good bikes ? They're light, plenty of power for the weight, as reliable as sunrise, needs very little in the way of service. Engines will do 100.000 kms easy with regular oil changes (8 to 10 K kms) Very good on fuel.
Got EFI which will run no problem on even 80 Octane fuel, Just make sure it's clean fuel.

Downsides: Can be a nightmare to work on as it's built very compact.
Needs a fair amount of upgrades to make a proper RTW bike but can be ridden without them.
Last edited by Ard on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Life is as good as you make it. Do not expect anyone else to do that for you.

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Mr. M

Re: Good bikes but why ?

Post by Mr. M » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 am

I second that ;)
We have two xChallenges and a xCountry. All three of them now on 60 Kkm.

0 x
Paul C

Re: Good bikes but why ?

Post by Paul C » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:12 pm

I did a chunk of the Spanish TET in September. I can endorse the comments above. My mate was riding a similarly modified X-Country and it was well up to the job.
I was riding a CCM GP450 (no longer in production) which was great too. Decent range (200 miles). Light weight. Excellent off road capability. Decent saddle, although I added a sheepskin cover. Easy to fix luggage to. Both mudguard stays broke though. I've since made more substantial ones.

Last edited by Paul C on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
Craig

Re: Good TET bikes but why ?

Post by Craig » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:03 pm

So far I am loving my DR. 32yrs old and still going strong. Not light (actually it's not bad at 150kg wet, Lighter than the X-Country), not fast and not pretty but never let me down.

and without the camouflage

Last edited by Craig on Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
All my opinions and comments are worth exactly what you pay for them.
chrigi

Post by chrigi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:32 pm

We, my son and I each drive a 1200 GS adventure.
His (air cooled) has 150'000 km mine (LC) has 70'000 km. Until this year we
have only driven simple gravel roads, but in the summer and autumn of 2017
we have been driving fully loaded old Italian military roads. We were absolutely
surprised how easy it was to ride these monsters on hard Enduro tracks.
In mud it won't be so easy, and to pick it up in the terrain needs maybe two people.
But I am happy with this bike! :handgestures-thumbup:

Assietta

Mont-Jafferau

Cheers,
chrigi
1 x
Froggy
Linesman

Post by Froggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:04 pm

With my humble experience a 600 TTRE with the rear shock absorb ohlins and the paioli RSU Magnum front fork from the 600 TTR, an home made frame pannier or from kedo:https://www.kedo.de/
If you can found an 20L acerbis tank you can travel around the world with a reliable and light bike which will be easy to repair and maintain everywhere!
You will have an electric starter from the 600 TTRE, you will have a battery and the excellent suspension from the 600 TTR, that will cost you less then 4000 EUROS bike include!
Either if you've got the money a 690 KTM, a 701 husqvarna or a 640 KTM ADVENTURE.
The most important, if you're travelling alone, a bike which you can lift on your own!
Light is right!
2 x
It's not about the destination, it's about the Journey

Froggy
Linesman

Post by Froggy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

But one of the best is the 640 Adventure LC4!
Fuel Range, suspension, engine, reliability, easy to repair, just the range maintenance, 5000 KM, a bit annoying!
0 x
It's not about the destination, it's about the Journey

trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 pm

i am happy to call the wonderful 690 enduro with a few upgrades my own. newest add on is the safari extra fuel tank. i think this girl is the right for pretty much all of the TET abuses. regarding the 640 adventure, i don't think it is the most reliable thing out there. i have had one for a couple of years and never had problems for all the 50.000kms i rode it for, but i heard really bad things about this engine. little low on hp, compared to a modern austrian single cilynder, but that's all that i have to say :)

that's my old beloved 640 adv

actual bike to ride the balkans tet. safari tank not fittet yet.
Last edited by trunkenpolz on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:52 am

Lovely bike!

Anyway, I can see needing a Safari tank when on safari in Australia, Marocco or South America but I can't see the benefit of carrying that extra weight in Europe on the TET when it is almost difficult not to find a gas station somewhere along the track. I have a Husky 701 which is basically your 690 in blue and white and it's range is easily 240 km. Even in Albania fuel was never an issue.

Just curious about your thoughts.
4 x
trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 pm

The thing is, that i am going to morocco later this year and i will definetly need it there. So i want to try it out, see how it affects the bike, see how i like it, see how it feels :) thats the main reason why i will use it on the tet this year. But i like the feeling i have, when i have more range than with the stock tank. If you get stuck somewhere in the middle of nowhere and you have to turn around, 200kms is really not the world and things can get close :) either way, there is also no need to fill it completely. :)
1 x