Petrol along the TET

Moderator: Simon_100

Tipmethewink

Petrol along the TET

Post by Tipmethewink » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am

I'm researching some trips and thought perhaps this might be useful. It's a zip file with a KML and GPX file of petrol stations within 10km of the TET throughout Spain. I have created the files but sourced the data from http://www.mapabase.es/. I don't know how up to date it is but it looks quite comprehensive and it's got prices and opening hours.
Last edited by Tipmethewink on Wed May 01, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Re: Petrol along the TET

Post by Simon_100 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:09 am

That's a pretty impressive piece of work! I use Mapabase all the time as one of a raft of map sources to help verify route and trails but so far only through third party software.

I have 'issues' with memory - and time! - right now so can't download the zip file and take a look see so maybe someone else here can check out a fair random selection to see if the filling stations are actually open - in Spain they can come and go!

I'm not sure where this would fit in on the TET page as a resource as we tend to think of the 100% Adventure Experience should include doing one's own planning, but that's not to say you shouldn't promote it here or over on Facebook.

Regs

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:56 pm

I've just updated it as I think the GPX was in the wrong map projection but I take no credit for the data. The geographic resources that the Spanish make available for free is amazing when compared to what we get in the UK. I've limited the data in the files to locations that lie within 10km of the TET trails but they actually have data for the whole of the country including Ceuta and Melilla.

0 x
Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 pm

To save you downloading anything, you can see the data (a week old now) here. Mouse over the yellow circles to see the details: https://droveend.com/june2019/
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:46 am

Wow! At a very quick check in y back yard it's 99% accurate. Check out the Section 15 as it passes though Camarasa, where there's a 24/7 machine station. Note that this has been closed off and on for years and I never trust it. But for TETers I guess the rule is always have two in your sights, especially on Sundays where remote places like La Pobla de Isabena, which although being a CEPSA is closed on Sundays and, at least last time I was there, didn't have a card machine ...

Now all you need is a downloadable app for iPhone ans Android ... :)

Cheers

Simon
0 x

Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:23 am

An app might be a stretch though there's no reason why you couldn't install the GPX in an app on the phone. Personally I use a Garmin Montana and that should handle up to 2000 waypoints so I'm planning on just sticking it on there. There's only 900 waypoints in the GPX so it should be fine though I've yet to try it.
0 x
Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:39 pm

Works great on the Garmin Montana. Show as POIs and you can click on them to see the price and opening hours.
0 x
Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Wed May 01, 2019 6:49 pm

I've taken the zip link down and you can download the GPX directly from https://droveend.com/june2019/petrol_tet.gpx. It's updated daily and you can view in your browser here: https://droveend.com/june2019.
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 am

Brilliant, how about posting this up on the TET Facebook group and encouraging people to look here on the Forum for excellent ideas like this?

Simon
0 x

Tipmethewink

Post by Tipmethewink » Thu May 02, 2019 5:54 am

Will do.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

0 x