Catalonia Easter 2019

Moderator: Simon_100

Gor

Catalonia Easter 2019

Post by Gor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:53 am

Hi, we are 3 motorcyclists who plan to drive the motorcycles by car to the Figueres area. We plan to rent accommodation in one place to use it as a base. We will go down on Easter 12 to 21 April. The plan is among other things driving part of Section 1 Catalonia. Also, considering renting accommodation somewhere along the coast from Palamos to Roses. Is it more likely to avoid rain in these areas? Looks like there are lots of dirt roads and trails there to ... We drive Ktm 690,525 and a Yamaha 350 so it's light bikes :)
If anyone is living in the area and want to guide then it would have been fun.
Tips?
Regards
Jøran
Norway
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Re: Catalonia Easter 2019

Post by Simon_100 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:08 am

Hi Jøran,

April is always a mixed month weather wise no matter whether - ouch! - you are on the coast or in the Pyrenees. What may be more important to you would be the level of snow, which is still likely in April when any precipitation will fall as snow from about 1,800 metres upwards, hence you may not be able to ride parts of Section 1 and may need to use the Winter Route (Section 18) instead.

So for accommodation you may be better off somewhere out of the higher mountains and with good road access to get to and from trail sections (I'm not so sure that there are many trails near the Bay of Roses as it is a very built-up area). Somewhere like Ripoll would be good as there is good accommodation - and things to do if the weather completely shuts the trails - even if you don't mind rain zero visibility may be more of the risk factor.

Note too that Easter week is a big holiday here in Spain so this will limit choice for accommodation, especially if the weather is good for skiing.

If you look on Facebook for Marc Morris he lives in that region and always seems to enjoy company.

Regs

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Gor

Post by Gor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Thank you for your answer. Based on what you're saying, I think we're aiming to stay down in the pine forests. I've looked at streetview on Google and find many roads through the woods that look great. Then we'll see if the weather allows us to visit the higher mountains. Ripoll looks like a nice little town so I check if it is possible to get accommodation there.
Regards ¨
Jøran
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:28 am

Great, but beware that this lovely roads in the pine forests are full of cyclists! Ripoll is a nice little town and id the weather is bad you can have a day off in Barcelona by train. I've never stayed here but U've had warm recommendations of this little place in the town. Note that in Spain a 'hostal' is a family run hotel rater than an outward bound place with dormitories, etc. and these are usually much better than 'hotels' with the same start rating.

Regs

Simon
0 x

Fast

Post by Fast » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Hi Gor, I live close to Figueres (15km) and I already did half of the Section with my 800GSA.. Let's keep in touch: if I can, maybe we can share some route togheter or just getting a beer!
0 x
Andrea "Fast"
Bmw F800GS Adventure
Gor

Post by Gor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:08 pm

Fast wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm
Hi Gor, I live close to Figueres (15km) and I already did half of the Section with my 800GSA.. Let's keep in touch: if I can, maybe we can share some route togheter or just getting a beer!
Hi that would have been great. We haven't decided yet for where to live, but I think it must be close to figueres. I am writing here when we have decided.
Regards
Gor
0 x
Gor

Post by Gor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:21 pm

Fast wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:37 pm
Hello, unfortunately we have to postpone our trip until the fall. Broke my leg yesterday and it will take time before it gets well again. We had rented an apartment in Olot. It looked like a good starting point for day trips. Thinking September or October can be decent months, do you think there has come snow in the height then? Had been fun to get up on some mountain peaks.
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:07 am

Hi, sorry to hear of your mishap!

Olot is OK as a base but the surrounding countryside is the - very lovely! - Garrotxa nature reserve so many trails are closed there.

September and October are two of the best months here in Catalonia, especially October with more stable weather and the autumn - OK 'fall' :) - colours in the forests. No real possibility of snow until the very end of the month and then really over 3,000 meters.

Regs

Simon
0 x

Gor

Post by Gor » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 pm

We decided to go down in October. Think it will be good. Long time to wait, but there will be some trips in Norway and Sweden while we waiting, and it is fine in Scandinavian forests and mountains as well.
Thanks for tip.
Regards
Gor
0 x