New Mediterranean route in Spain?

Moderator: Simon_100

ChapC

New Mediterranean route in Spain?

Post by ChapC » Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Simon

In the TET map overview I can see that there is a (new?) route in Spain all the way back from Gibraltar direction Figueres on the Mediterranean side. But there is nothing to see in detail on the Spain page. Still only the route in the Northern mountains is depicted + a small track from Portugal to Gibraltar.
Can you explain what happened? Or what will happen?

Gracias
Chap
0 x
Lenzwerf

Re: New Mediterranean route in Spain?

Post by Lenzwerf » Thu May 10, 2018 3:22 pm

I think the graphics will not change every time the TET changes. If you want to see the current track, download it. The main overview is very general, just to get an idea.
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Thu May 10, 2018 3:59 pm

This additional section will go live in the next few weeks/months ;-)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:50 am

ChapC wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:27 pm
Hi Simon

In the TET map overview I can see that there is a (new?) route in Spain all the way back from Gibraltar direction Figueres on the Mediterranean side. But there is nothing to see in detail on the Spain page. Still only the route in the Northern mountains is depicted + a small track from Portugal to Gibraltar.
Can you explain what happened? Or what will happen?

Gracias
Chap
Hello Chap, or ¡Hola! if you prefer :)

Yes and no, thee is a new route planned that comes up from Gibraltar but it's the existing trail that starts from the French border north of Figueres.

As you have seen the existing route follows the Pyrenees and the Cordillera Cantabrica all the way along the northern part of Spain to Galicia. From there it head into Portugal and is 'underground' as far as Spain - and me! - is concerned before popping up again at the southern end of Portugal whee it makes a headlong dash to Tarifa, the southernmost extreme of mainland Spain.

See below for some details of what t to come but note that the TET is constantly evolving - one reason that it should never be uploaded to any public platform such as Wikilock.
Lenzwerf wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:22 pm
I think the graphics will not change every time the TET changes. If you want to see the current track, download it. The main overview is very general, just to get an idea.
That's correct, the main graphic is highly schematic. In fact the 'new' eastern trail, nicknamed the Great East Iberian Trail don't go least than about 70 kms from the coast, inland of Tarragona where it then heads almost due north to exit Spain west of Andorra, once it leaves the Gibraltar/Algeciras area.
Redballrun wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 3:59 pm
This additional section will go live in the next few weeks/months ;-)
Yes, that's the plan, the trail is done apart from a gap across the great plains between Alcañiz and where the Pyrenees suddenly pop up out of them near Ponts on the road to Andorra.

I have a great problem with competing/conflicting priorities right now, between amending the existing TET - or what's left of it after the terrible winter (STOP PRESS: more snow coming to the Pyrenees over the weekend, possibly grouping a party of sturdy TET Testers for 24 hours!), running may own biking activities, i.e. a HISS off road event starting on Monday and , er, just my own life, like living in a caravan while my house is being rebuilt and watching my funds drain away like water from a bucket with a hole in it ... :)

Regs

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

Domtrails

Post by Domtrails » Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 pm

The map is not downloading, just shows error for me. Am I to understand the GPX files have changed of late and these new trails along the med are available now or at a later date..¿?
Saludos
Dom
0 x
Una Via Cor Unam
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Tue May 29, 2018 8:31 pm

As mentioned in the FB group, there is a glitch with the maps. They have never shown the current gpx which is always downloadable from each page.
The southern Spain section will hopefully be added to the download next week

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 am

Domtrails wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 pm
The map is not downloading, just shows error for me. Am I to understand the GPX files have changed of late and these new trails along the med are available now or at a later date..¿?
Saludos
Dom
Hello Dom,

The new Great Eastern route is awaiting John's magic touch to become a usable file for downloading. It's just a matter of time ...

But it only runs close to the Mediterranean for a few miles from Tarifa before it heads inland after wobbling around Algeciras.

There never has been any plan to actually follow the Meditarranian, which apart from about three nature reserves is entirely urbanised!

Meanwhile here's a sneak preview of the route:

The little green 'stars' mark the frontiers between the regions, each of which has it's own rules and regulations, so that the sections of the route coincide with these. Note that the trail passed though the Castilla-la-Mancha and Valencia regions, where trails are closed all summer long, i.e. from June 22nd to September 22nd - and sometimes longer ...

Regs

Simon
1 x

Domtrails

Post by Domtrails » Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 am

Looks amazing, i am in barcelona so you can imagine how excited I will be about this route...
0 x
Una Via Cor Unam
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:06 am

Domtrails wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 am
Looks amazing, i am in barcelona so you can imagine how excited I will be about this route...
Thanks, it's been a lot of work! Roughly whereabouts are you in Barcelona?

So, here are the two routes shown together:

They intersect in a remote spot (N42.19813° E1.17247°) in the mountains east of Tremp called 'Els Prats' - this was just too good to resist! - and I've spent a lot of time thinking about how the route work together to form a whole:

a) obviously with Spain, or rather the Iberian Peninsula, being 'the end of the line' at the western end of Europe the aim is to have a different return leg for folks who do make it all the way the Straits of Gibraltar, where you can almost throw a stone across the water into Morocco.

b) a secondary aim is to have a 'round' trip in Iberia that is useable all year round, more or less, as a lot of folks, especially Brits, arrive at Bilbao or Santander and have this in mind. Hence the routes over the Pyrenees, i.e. where the Great North Route enters Spain from France to Els Prats the Great East Route carries on northwards from there to return into France via the Val d'Aran are pretty much closed from November to May all of the rest of the Great Iberian Routes, with a few caveats, are rideable all year round.

c) these caveats are, as said before Castilla-la-Mancha and Valencia which are off limits in the three months of summer, Andalusia and Murcia which are too bloody hot then anyway and some spots on the route where it passes over 2,000 metres and hence can also be snowed in during the winter. An example of the is the Sierra de Javalambre in Teruel which is often snowed under - that's why there's a ski resort there! :) - but this is easily avoided and in fact in some years the snow fails.

How people fit that not their busy lives is up to them really. If I were thirty-some years younger I'd ride down to Tarifa in the spring, spend the summer wind surfing and partying with beautiful semi-naked women and then head off in mid-September before the pregnancy tests get too embarrassing! But I'm a crazy kid from the 'seventies - people don't seem to know how to party these days! :)

Just to prove it:

I'm the guy hanging out of the window ...

While my mate poses on my Laverda - he's lost his amazing red hair now and ives in Indiana, U S of A ...

Life is a bit more sedentary now ...

... but not entirely, the Great North Route gets pretty darned cold in January but is rarely blocked with snow ...

... but it's not a doddle in summer either!

The Spanish have a way of riding their sports bikes in any conditions. the Estrella de Javalambre rally in February was snowed off the year I went but we went as far as we could!

The view from the top in July! :)

The way up in February:

And again in July:

Up in the Great East Route as it climbs the Pyrenees mostly well over 2,000 metres ...

A but lower, around 1,800 metres and you're often in the clouds ...

At 'Els Prats' (Cat. 'prat' = a flat field, e.g. the Prat de Lobregat airport in Barcelona)

At the source of the Noguera Pallaresa river - again at 2,000 metres but the main point of interest is that the Garonne starts just a few hundred yards away, so from here it's downhill all the way to France - not!

... there's a fair bit more 'upping' to go yet! Some of the bits in the middle ...

Bardena Blanca desert in Navarre

The Taberna desert region in Andalusia

Serra de Boumort, the Great East Route is about to turn northwards ...

The End, or should that be The Beginning? :)
1 x

Domtrails

Post by Domtrails » Thu May 31, 2018 7:34 pm

Amazing stuff
0 x
Una Via Cor Unam