Not TET, But Someone Might Know About These Trails?

Moderator: Simon_100

Phaedrus

Not TET, But Someone Might Know About These Trails?

Post by Phaedrus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Anyone know if the trails in the region I've circled in red (between town A, Punta Carnero and town B, Pelayo) are accessible a) to the public (or is it a military area), and b) vehicles (motorbikes in particular, obviously)?

TIA. :handgestures-thumbup:

Mark
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Re: Not TET, But Someone Might Know About These Trails?

Post by Simon_100 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:22 pm

I'm not really sure - and can't readily checkmate out as I live up in the Pyrenees! But if you check reviews on Google you'll find mention of the 'military track' being closed to the public - period - while others refer to paces to leave the car despite it being a 'sendero' of footpath - it looks like that where Street view finishes - so I guess you hunch is probably true.

The location overlooking Algeciras Bay and Gibraltar is seriously sensitive, no so much about Gib. itself but for radar stations monitoring drug and people trafficking across the straits. And I believe that there's a sort of Spanish 'Maginot Line' around there built during WW II.

Having said all that a 'work in progress*' from one of our local collaborators down there lists a trail heading right along the coast from Tarifa to join the road at Las Columnas - or Quintana depending of which map you're looking at! - having passed a hill called 'La Joya', just to the west of where you're looking at so that should be worth exploring.

Regs

Simon
* this will be part of the East Route, a 'return leg' back to the Pyrenees going east of Madrid rather than along the North Route to Tarifa via Portugal ...
1 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Kawasako Pérez

Post by Kawasako Pérez » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:03 pm

You can reach Tarifa easily from Algeciras but not from Punta Carnero. Before PC on the right side take de miitary tarmac road and after some 8/10 kilometres take the right side no tarmac Trail (the left side goes on to the ONLY military compund still in use, the fuzzy part in Google Earth)

The coast piste can also be taken in Pelayo and links to the one that comes from Algeciras.

I can not ensure the legal staus of the piste. It is probably still military property and there are a number of contradictory signs along it, varying from forbidding to simple warning of risk of accidents.

As a matter of fact it is widely used by pedestrians, ciclists, motorbikes, cars. Myself I have crossed paths with pólice but not a single time they stopped me or made any question. They are more interested in drug smuggling and ilegal inmigration. This both issues they DO make this área sensitive.

All this área is full of cattle exploitations and cows will stop you not the pólice, full of people fishing or just sightseeing. There are some rural lodgings like La Hoya and tinny settlements like Guadalmesí and a very important activity on birdwatching.

All the military facilitiesbut the mentioned before are abandoned and in ruins. Worth to see are two huge cannons you can actually touch

What else can I say… It may not be legal but I ride it once or twice a month.

1 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:56 am

Nice work Pedro! :) But maybe we should warn any British riders not to have too much interest in the military hardware in case they get arrested as spies form Gibraltar! :) :) :)

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)