Huge gpx-file

Moderator: Simon_100

Simon_100
Linesman

Re: Huge gpx-file

Post by Simon_100 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 am

Spain is very difficult as the 'base' survey data is very flawed. I'm using TopoEspaña v5 on Basecamp and on my Garmin out in the field, but 'triangulate' in my study using whatever I can, Google earth standard and 'Pro' versions and whatever I see on Wikiloc - which I normally use to actually 'make' the trails. Wikiloc varies as some regions, e.g. Catalonia and Aragon, have their own maps that are available there (the Catalan maps are fantastic) and just recently Wiki has what's called 'Mapa Base IGN' which is very good. 'IGN' is the Spanish national cartographic institute. You can also download massive files of their 'print' maps, which of course are not available in print ...

Regs

Simon

PS as I wrote there is a lot of work to do reviewing feedback from some riders who reported trails that are either now closed and/or ploughed over hence non-existent!
1 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
DrumBrakes

Post by DrumBrakes » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 am

Thanks, Google Earth is very handy, but it's still just a snapshot in time. Roads do change.

I'll take a look into wikiloc and the others you'd suggested.

It's easy to forget how lucky we are in the UK to have the O.S. providing accurate maps in so many formats.
0 x
Over prepared & under talented.
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:28 pm

DrumBrakes wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:31 am
Thanks, Google Earth is very handy, but it's still just a snapshot in time. Roads do change.

I'll take a look into wikiloc and the others you'd suggested.

It's easy to forget how lucky we are in the UK to have the O.S. providing accurate maps in so many formats.
Too true, if you look carefully at Streetview you can see the date it was recorded, up to ten years ago! But given that we sound remember how much we take for granted these days - back in 1992 Mrs S and I went all route the Western Sahara with a Renault 4 and a Michelin, amazing as it may now seem we survived and ... had the best time you could possibly imagine! :D

Regs

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)