Madeira Island - TET Extension

Moderator: fulviapaulo

joaosoares

Madeira Island - TET Extension

Post by joaosoares » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:26 am

Hi everyone! :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm Joao from Madeira Island, and I've been riding most of my life here on the Island. Mostly off-road!

I know Madeira is not part of the TET, but now it can be an extension for those riding in Portugal.
Every summer, there is a ferry connecting Funchal (Madeira Island) to Portimão (Algarve), from July to September. You can find more about this connection here:
https://madeira-ferry.pt/horarios-ferry ... -portimao/

If you don’t know Madeira, it’s a Portuguese Island off the coast of Africa, and is famous for it's wine, gastronomy, breathtaking views (insert vertigo warning here), mild subtropical climate (avg. 23c in Summer, 17c in Winter), Rali Vinho Madeira, outdoor activities, etc.. It is also starting to get some world-wide attention in the mountain biking scene - having hosted the Enduro World Series for the second time – for its mountains and hills, wide variety of terrains and really awesome weather.
This also translates to the big machines of course, on the enduro and off-road scene for motorbikes, where we can venture off-road and enjoy the island, from open road full gas, to the really slow technical side of trails.
You can check some photos of Madeira and our project here!

I haven't put in the time to track some routes, since I've been riding here since I can remember, but this is something that I’ll definitely be working on in the future. It's a small island anyways, so if you get lost just come down to sea level! You'll be fine!! :D
Beware tho, I know we’re riders, and we know the dangers, but specially in Madeira do not ride more than you can see, the next corner could be a tight one, or a really dangerous/downhill spot to go out of the track!!!
Also, make sure you get permission to ride off-road, it's free and will save you some trouble should you encounter any authorities on the way. You can apply here, it takes two minutes:
https://ifcn.madeira.gov.pt/servicos/se ... -line.html

On another note, if you’d like to come to Madeira in any other time of the year, we have a new project going, organizing off-road trips around the island, providing whatever you need to have a blast, from bikes to gear to guided tours, and soon gps tracks to share with the community.

Cheers guys!
Keep it challenging, && ride Safe!
0 x
TriumphantTiger

Re: Madeira Island - TET Extension

Post by TriumphantTiger » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:08 pm

joaosoares wrote:Hi everyone! :greetings-waveyellow:

I'm Joao from Madeira Island, and I've been riding most of my life here on the Island. Mostly off-road!

I know Madeira is not part of the TET, but now it can be an extension for those riding in Portugal.
Every summer, there is a ferry connecting Funchal (Madeira Island) to Portimão (Algarve), from July to September. You can find more about this connection here:
https://madeira-ferry.pt/horarios-ferry ... -portimao/

If you don’t know Madeira, it’s a Portuguese Island off the coast of Africa, and is famous for it's wine, gastronomy, breathtaking views (insert vertigo warning here), mild subtropical climate (avg. 23c in Summer, 17c in Winter), Rali Vinho Madeira, outdoor activities, etc.. It is also starting to get some world-wide attention in the mountain biking scene - having hosted the Enduro World Series for the second time – for its mountains and hills, wide variety of terrains and really awesome weather.
This also translates to the big machines of course, on the enduro and off-road scene for motorbikes, where we can venture off-road and enjoy the island, from open road full gas, to the really slow technical side of trails.
You can check some photos of Madeira and our project here!

I haven't put in the time to track some routes, since I've been riding here since I can remember, but this is something that I’ll definitely be working on in the future. It's a small island anyways, so if you get lost just come down to sea level! You'll be fine!! :D
Beware tho, I know we’re riders, and we know the dangers, but specially in Madeira do not ride more than you can see, the next corner could be a tight one, or a really dangerous/downhill spot to go out of the track!!!
Also, make sure you get permission to ride off-road, it's free and will save you some trouble should you encounter any authorities on the way. You can apply here, it takes two minutes:
https://ifcn.madeira.gov.pt/servicos/se ... -line.html

On another note, if you’d like to come to Madeira in any other time of the year, we have a new project going, organizing off-road trips around the island, providing whatever you need to have a blast, from bikes to gear to guided tours, and soon gps tracks to share with the community.

Cheers guys!
Keep it challenging, && ride Safe!
Hi joaosoares,

this is awesome info, thank you!
Didn't know there was a ferry, this is definitely going on my list of destinations to ride!

Cheers,
TT
0 x