Southern part of the Netherlands TET - advice needed!

Moderator: 3Rogier

monsteruk

Southern part of the Netherlands TET - advice needed!

Post by monsteruk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi All,

First post on the tet forum, so please be kind! :-)

In June this year, I am hoping (as a solo rider) to do the south part of the tet in the Netherlands, starting at the bottom (near Eindhoven) and heading north-east as far as Beek, before heading west toward Amsterdam(if you look at the tet route on the site, at the very bottom, you can see the stretch I mean, running north east, before heading west to Amsterdam. its around 210 miles all together I think. I have a few simple questions if anyone could help out?

1. Assuming a novice rider, how long would it take to ride that section? Would about 100 miles a day seem reasonable?
2. For the section I am looking at riding, how much is road and how much is off-road? It would be good to understand how much of each!
3. For the off-road sections, are they easy trails, or are there any particularly technical stretches? I am a relatively novice off-roader, riding an Africa Twin. Any ideas of parts to avoid (if any) would be really useful.

As I say, I am a solo rider (on my own), novice off road, and on an Africa Twin (although I may trade in for something a little lighter).

Any help on the above, much appreciated!

Thanks all.
0 x
Ard
Linesman

Re: Southern part of the Netherlands TET - advice needed!

Post by Ard » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:24 pm

The stretch from the Belgian border to Beek is at a guess 60% off-road. (I never checked it to be honest).
From Beek to the ferry is all road ! There simply isn't anything worth changing the route for, without massive detours.

The AT is a pretty heavy bike, loaded up more so.
For the novice rider this might prove too much in combination, especially when it's been warm and dry for a while.
There is a fair amount of sand to be found and this can get pretty deep. You'll need to be doing at least 50 km/h in that, standing on the pegs with your bum as far back as you can get from the handle bars.
This is daunting stuff.

I am not looking to discourage you but picking up the AT a few times on your own might not be much fun.
See if you can find a mate to come with you, or even put out a post on the forum here or on the Facebook page for someone who might want to join you.

Cheers, Ard
1 x
Life is as good as you make it. Do not expect anyone else to do that for you.

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
monsteruk

Post by monsteruk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:27 am

Ard wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:24 pm
The stretch from the Belgian border to Beek is at a guess 60% off-road. (I never checked it to be honest).
From Beek to the ferry is all road ! There simply isn't anything worth changing the route for, without massive detours.

The AT is a pretty heavy bike, loaded up more so.
For the novice rider this might prove too much in combination, especially when it's been warm and dry for a while.
There is a fair amount of sand to be found and this can get pretty deep. You'll need to be doing at least 50 km/h in that, standing on the pegs with your bum as far back as you can get from the handle bars.
This is daunting stuff.

I am not looking to discourage you but picking up the AT a few times on your own might not be much fun.
See if you can find a mate to come with you, or even put out a post on the forum here or on the Facebook page for someone who might want to join you.

Cheers, Ard
Hey Ard,

Many thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I think I was already coming to the conclusion that the AT may be too big for that kind of thing, especially as a solo rider - and your response has pretty much confirmed it now (especially with the sand... not sure I was expecting that!). And if the tet route heading toward Amsterdam / the Ferry is all road, then that takes the edge off that route anyhow I guess.

Before I posted this post, I posted on the Adventure Bike Rider forum, asking about ideal smaller adventure bikes, that would be suitable for solo riding.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 23&t=47997

Be interested to hear what you ride, and your thoughts on what I listed on the other thread.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Cheers,

Roy
0 x
Ard
Linesman

Post by Ard » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 am

Hi Roy, My bike is a BMW XCountry. I bought it in standard form and modified it over the years.
It's very light (144kg dry) and has a 650 engine that's about as reliable as sunrise ! Service intervals are 10.000km.
The XChallenge is basically the same bike, but with bigger wheels and different plastics.
These bikes are the Go-to bike for a good number of world travellers. Walter Colebatch for instance from Sibirsky Extreme has one,
Dave and Jenny from Rideunlimited (https://www.rideunlimited.co.uk/) both ride an X as they are known.
My wife has the same and ofcourse nothing is perfect but this gets us as close as I want to spend cash on.
A Standard bike will most likely need upgrades in one form or another.
As far as the Honda goes, I've read that it could do well with a performance upgrade. Also, the Rally version isn't much more than the stock one apart from the looks so best safe some cash if you decide to go that route.
The Himalian (or whatever it's spelled) is too much of an unknown to me so I couldn't comment.
Definitely get something with fuel injection though as they're trouble free and economical. Carbs could give you a fair amount of trouble if you don't know how to work them. FI doesn't need work. That's the difference.
The Tenere, is a pretty good bike but fairly heavy and it also needs a good amount of upgrades.

I'm biased but I would buy another BMW G650X in a heartbeat. They have never let us down and are treated gently at times.
There's an XChallenge for sale that's kitted out and for a good price in the XChallenge Facebook group. Can't remember where it's located at the moment though.

Any more questions, just ask.

Ta, Ard
0 x

Ard
Linesman

Post by Ard » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am

I know who has the X for sale now and he's in the UK (Winchester I think) so if you're willing to see if it's your thing let me know Roy.
0 x

Matje

Post by Matje » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 am

Hello Roy,
The Southern part is my back yard.
As Ard already said, there are some nice sandboxes here.
I will be glad to guide you through or around them. Let me know when exactly you will be there.
Only not in the first week of June, as I will then be still on the TET Macedonia.
I drive a Suzuki DRZ400 and of course that is the best. You can practice here on my bike if you want!
2 x
Matje
monsteruk

Post by monsteruk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:14 am

Ard wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:18 am
I know who has the X for sale now and he's in the UK (Winchester I think) so if you're willing to see if it's your thing let me know Roy.
Many thanks Ard, thanks for the views on the other bikes, and the X recommendation - it sounds a good contender which I had not considered... I will do a little bit of research over the next couple of days (out tonight), and come back to you... Thanks for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated

If you have a link to the X being sold, I would love to have a look at the add if thats ok?

Cheers, Roy.
Last edited by monsteruk on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
monsteruk

Post by monsteruk » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:20 am

Matje wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 am
Hello Roy,
The Southern part is my back yard.
As Ard already said, there are some nice sandboxes here.
I will be glad to guide you through or around them. Let me know when exactly you will be there.
Only not in the first week of June, as I will then be still on the TET Macedonia.
I drive a Suzuki DRZ400 and of course that is the best. You can practice here on my bike if you want!
Many thanks for the reply and the kind offer... I may well take you up on that. I will try and avoid first week in June, and will keep you posted.

I am pretty novice off road though (done some stuff on my AT, a few local green lanes, a few in Wales, and some decent ones on Salisbury plain), so would be a little worried about holding you up!

Anyhow, thanks for the offer, and I will be back in touch when the plan starts to take shape!

Roy
0 x
Ard
Linesman

Post by Ard » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 am

Roy: If you are on Facebook, Apply for membership to this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/138637769557455/

It's in there some ways down in a post by Nathan Jackaman.

Cheers, Ard
1 x