Riding the E9 coastalpath between Liepaja and Windau?

Moderator: Martins

hannesf

Riding the E9 coastalpath between Liepaja and Windau?

Post by hannesf » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:54 pm

Hi,

quick question... is it possible to ride directly at the beach between Liepaja and Windau? i mean not the complete way, but partly? How crowded is the beach there in summertime or better, which are the not so crowded parts?

Since not everything is a nature reserve there it might be an option?!

Cheers and thank you!
0 x
Navrix

Re: Riding the E9 coastalpath between Liepaja and Windau?

Post by Navrix » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:13 am

Hi,
it is forbidden by law to go with the motorised vehicle on the beach or dunes in Latvia. There is a road along the coastline. Also there is old abandoned railroad line between Liepaja and Windau (Ventspils), which is usable as an option for off-road.
0 x
hannesf

Re: Riding the E9 coastalpath between Liepaja and Windau?

Post by hannesf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Hey,
thanks i thought it would be like that... Welcome to europe ;)

EDIT: here is some Information for myself:
In Latvia, until 19912
about 3/4th of the coastal zones was restricted military domain. As a result,
natural habitats were protected and construction was restricted along the largest part of the seashore.
These restrictions were however removed, following the country’s independence. At present, natural
habitats are suffering from both touristic activities and inappropriate management.
During 2002-2006 a project entitled ‘Protection and management of coastal habitats in Latvia’ was
carried out by the University of Latvia together with the North Vidzeme Biosphere Reserve and the
Liepaja Regional Environmental Board. The aim of the project was to construct management plans for
four coastal Natura 2000 sites and construct a database of protection measures that are present in all
coastal habitats of European community importance. The final project report highlighted human
activity as the main threat to coastal eco-systems. As a result, human activities are now restricted in
sensitive and valuable areas.
(https://ec.europa.eu/maritimeaffairs/si ... nge_en.pdf)

Cheers
0 x