Switzerland to Biarritz via TET France

Moderator: Froggy

Mac

Switzerland to Biarritz via TET France

Post by Mac » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:48 pm

The wife and I are planning to ride part of the French TET to Biarritz in June this year. We are in the early stages of planning and think we will pick up the trail around Millau. We will be coming from Switzerland and will most likely straighten out a few sections along the way. I have quickly scanned the route on Google maps and there doesn't appear to be anything too crazy along the way but I realise that it's not easy to do a thorough appraisal this way. Wondering if anyone out there has completed this section and can advise on areas to avoid and areas to not miss. We are certainly not pro off road riders but we are up for a bit of a challenge. We will be riding a CRF 250 and a KTM 790 adventure (if it gets delivered in time). We will be carrying camping gear and are not trying to get through it in a hurry. Any advice on any part of the trail between these points will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :handgestures-thumbup:
0 x
Froggy
Linesman

Re: Switzerland to Biarritz via TET France

Post by Froggy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 pm

Light is right but as you won't be alone you can afford taken more risks at doing something a bit more technical. Don't have a too much loaded bikes and when you've a doubt stopped
1 x
It's not about the destination, it's about the Journey

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm

Thanks for the info.

We will be trying to keep the bikes as light as possible. We plan to camp but just bought some new lightweight camping gear so we should be ok.

Not yet decided on our final route, in fact im still bikeless at the moment but we still have a bit of time to get minor things like that resolved
0 x
Gertrude_325

Post by Gertrude_325 » Sun May 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Hi Mac
My boyfriend and I are aiming to ride tet through France, Switzerland and Pyrenees this summer. We don’t know details of what the route is like yet but we will by mid July!
When are you aiming to go?
0 x
Mac

Post by Mac » Sun May 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Gertrude_325 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:08 pm
Hi Mac
My boyfriend and I are aiming to ride tet through France, Switzerland and Pyrenees this summer. We don’t know details of what the route is like yet but we will by mid July!
When are you aiming to go?
Hi,

We set off in just under two weeks. We have 6 days to get from Switzerland to Biarritz. As one of us is fairly novice we are adjusting our expectations a little and only aim to cover half the trip via TET with the option to use faster roads if we are falling too far behind. We are not sure where we will pick up the route yet but would like to do the majority of sections 6 and 9 if possible. We really have no idea how long these are likely to take and what level of difficulty they are. I think another post may be in order.

Where are you based? We are just outside of Geneva.

Mac
0 x
Heffho84

Post by Heffho84 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi Mac, I'm Howard, the boyfriend of Anna (Gertrude_325).

Have you completed your journey to Biarritz yet? How did you do? Hope you managed to have a wonderful journey and stick to the TeT as much as possible.

We found the trails in France to be highly varied so we had to get on the tarmac more than we'd liked to make up the distance.

The heatwave has caused us to slow down to early morning riding as the 35° temperatures are too much for riding trails.

We are currently near Montbeliard, and due to enter Switzerland tomorrow (27th June)travelling south. We hope to stick to the tet route as much as possible and hopefully go off piste to take in a few of the more interesting roads as found on dangerousroads.org - a fantastic resource for adventure riders!

Are you back in Switzerland now? Fancy meeting up for a day ride somewhere? We'd love to meet fellow riders! We might circle round after Switzerland back to Chamonix so won't be far from Geneva.

Do you know the rules for riding on trails in Switzerland. In France, any trail wide enough for a car can be ridden by motorcycle, horse of foot. Is this the same in Switzerland or are trails for walkers only?

H & A
0 x