Mobile coverage in remote areas

Moderator: Rev

Karin

Re: Mobile coverage in remote areas

Post by Karin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:17 pm

Thank you all for the useful information!
I will definitely look into the option of renting a beacon for my trip. Hopefully I wont need to use it :)
0 x
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 am

Didado wrote:Also, verbally transmitting 40.741895,-73.989308 coordinates while on the phone is just asking for trouble. If you don't have a separate GPS device with the coordinates to read out loud you would have to write the coordinates down first, perhaps in the soil because you are on the phone and can't look at the coordinates in the app while you are talking to the emergency services.
Interesting info but the above??
If your phone can’t open a different app while making a call you need a new phone.
1 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Schussboelie wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 am
Didado wrote:Also, verbally transmitting 40.741895,-73.989308 coordinates while on the phone is just asking for trouble. If you don't have a separate GPS device with the coordinates to read out loud you would have to write the coordinates down first, perhaps in the soil because you are on the phone and can't look at the coordinates in the app while you are talking to the emergency services.
Interesting info but the above??
If your phone can’t open a different app while making a call you need a new phone.
LOL. You are right. I forgot about putting the emergency services on speakerphone. That's how panicked I already am while at home, let alone while in an accident :teasing-neener: :bow-blue:
0 x
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 pm

:D
0 x
Sukke

Post by Sukke » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:51 pm

El Lobo gave good answer, there should not be too many areas on the TET route, that would not have cell phone coverage. Even though Finland may look remote and wild from Central Europe, it actually isn't so remote, not like Siberia;) Finland is actually quite flat, even Lapland, where hills are round and smooth and won't create too many blind spots, not like real mountains.

If you are worried about sending coordinates in case of accident, you could install "112 Suomi" application, it is availabe for Android and Iphone. You can use app for calling emergency calls and it will send your location to emergency service.

Welcome to Finland Karin and have a safe trip.
1 x
Leif A

Post by Leif A » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Hej Karin!
Cellphone coverage in Finland is veey good. Only places we found bad was close to Russian borderzone.
Sweden however is worse on coverage. Best phoncoverage is whit Telia.
/Leif
0 x
Ccm GP450Adv Ktm Exc500 Adv
Karin

Post by Karin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Sukke wrote:If you are worried about sending coordinates in case of accident, you could install "112 Suomi" application, it is availabe for Android and Iphone. You can use app for calling emergency calls and it will send your location to emergency service.

Welcome to Finland Karin and have a safe trip.
Thank you Sukke! Looking forward to the trip for sure^^
Leif A wrote:Sweden however is worse on coverage. Best phoncoverage is whit Telia.
Really? Did not expect that to be honest, but I guess it's different up north than here in the south:P Will look into that. I have Telia already. Thanks for the info!
0 x
Sergey

Post by Sergey » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Finnish Lapland is heavily tourism oriented, lot more than Swedish or Norwegian. And that is the reason the coverage is more than 99% atleast 2G (GSM). Wintertime millions of people visits Lapland, even the remote places.

Here in Finland you can install an 112 app in your smartphone and when you call to 112, that app will send automatically your exact location to emergency services, you don't need to tell it to them. If you have GPS on of course, and if GPS is OFF, it will try to triangulate approximate position from nearest phone links (phones tends to connect to several all times) and if that fails, it points out the nearest phone link.

Basically if you can make a call, they know exactly where you are. But ONLY if you install that app and have GPS on. By the way, that app doesn't do anything, it doesn't have any buttons or functions. It's 100% automatic, and engages when you make 112 call.

it is called: "112 Suomi" and works in Windows-, Android-, iPhone- and Jolla phones.

Link: http://www.digia.com/en/services/offering/112-suomi/
0 x
turbomursu

Post by turbomursu » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:24 am

If you have a smartphone you should install the emergency app to yor phone. I recently took a first aid course and they warmly recommended this. Sends out GPS coordinates automatically when you make emergency call thru the app. Has also some other helpful services as the poison info center if you happen to encounter some of the few poisonous plants or the snake in the wild.
https://digia.com/en/services/offering/112-suomi/
0 x