Mobile coverage in remote areas

Moderator: Rev

Karin

Mobile coverage in remote areas

Post by Karin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:57 am

Hi all,
Does anybody know what kind of mobile coverage (or lack thereof) one can expect in the more remote areas of the trail?
I'm planning to ride the Finnish TET this summer and since I'm going alone I'm interested to know if I should invest in some kind of satellite personal tracker or not. They're expensive and I'd rather spend my money one something more fun but I' don't really want to end up in a situation where I can't call for help if I need to.

Those of you who've done the this section, what was your experience of this?
0 x
El Lobo

Re: Mobile coverage in remote areas

Post by El Lobo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Hi there
I can give you a link to the best cell phone coverage company so you can check it out for your self. Its in finnish. But I think you get the idea --> https://www.telia.fi/asiakastuki/verkko ... rkkokartta
There will be dead spots in Lappland but usually you can get signal if you move around and get to higher ground.
Usually if you stick to the more common roads there will be signal.
Yes the wilderness areas are remote but in summer time there is "plenty" of traffic so I dont think you will get stranded very long.
Hope this will help answer your questions.
0 x
KTM 690 Enduro
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:15 am

Finalnd has amazing cell phone coverage!
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:40 am

Here you can find coverage of just about any country
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Would you say the same does count for norway or sweden or will I need to carry a GPS emergency tracker ?
0 x
Ard
Linesman

Post by Ard » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm

You could always send a text to the local emergency number stating your predicament and your coordinates.
Texts use far less bandwidth and are likely to get through even when it appears you have no signal on your phone.
1 x
Life is as good as you make it. Do not expect anyone else to do that for you.

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:02 am

Ard wrote:You could always send a text to the local emergency number stating your predicament and your coordinates.
Texts use far less bandwidth and are likely to get through even when it appears you have no signal on your phone.
This is very important information! ImageImageImage
Frankly speaking I never knew that until just a few months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 x
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR (for sale!)
Didado

Post by Didado » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 am

Ard wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm
You could always send a text to the local emergency number stating your predicament and your coordinates.
It sounds good but this is a lot more complicated then you might think. I did an adventure riding first aid course (Adventure Shield) recently and using coordinates was one of the things discussed.

First off all it may not be legal. In the Netherland for example you can not send your coordinates via a message to the 112 emergency number without giving them permission first due to privacy laws. You have to call them, then they can send you a text to which you can reply giving them permission to receive your coordinates.

Second, just grab your smartphone and try to find your coordinates in a mapping app ;-) Most of us will not be able to find them quickly.

Imagine being hurt or totally panicked because your mate is laying on the ground screaming and then having to find coordinates and texting them.

Also, verbally transmitting 40.741895,-73.989308 coordinates while on the phone is just asking for trouble. If you don't have a separate GPS device with the coordinates to read out loud you would have to write the coordinates down first, perhaps in the soil because you are on the phone and can't look at the coordinates in the app while you are talking to the emergency services. Make one mistake, one digit wrong and the emergency services will be send to another part of the world.

If you are by yourself, hurt and your GPS is on the bike 4 meters away and your phone is in the RAM mount you are screwed. In other words, you better 'practice' this before you ever get in an accident.

That's why I bought an Inreach emergency beacon that I carry on my person and not on the bike. At least it gives me a much better chance to call for help when injured.

If you are on a budget you may be able to rent a beacon.
0 x
Albert Oosting

Post by Albert Oosting » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Hello allroad travelers.

Unfortunately the statement Dildado posten is true. Emergency services can not receive text messages you send yourself, and your location is NOT known to the person answering your emergency call.

The tool Dildado mentioned is called VIL-tool. you wil receive an textmessage send bij 112. if you click on te link in de text an program wil open on you phone. It wil show you a map, and you wil have to verify your location, to the location shown on the map. If it is correct, you wil click 'confirm' and you location is send to 112.

good to know: your phone has to be able to receive a text sms (good connection to cell tower)
your phone has to have gps-connection turned on and good reception is required for accurate location data
your phone has to have data-connection turned on and be able to send data over the internet
you have to be able to verify you location to the map shown on your phone. Be critical! most forests in the Netherlands are planted and look the same.

for the Dutch readers some interesting links to the subject:
http://www.twenteactueel.nl/index.php?r ... l_ID=15662
https://zoek.officielebekendmakingen.nl ... -1480.html
https://www.hulpverlening.nl/nieuws/and ... amer-delen

Be prepared to give an accurate description of your location. GPS-coördinates may help. however, different gps-devices work with different gps-coördinate systems. Tomtom and garmin for example.

http://www.javawa.nl/coords.html (special thanks to javawa!)

In the link above you can see how one coordinate differs from another.
Try the coordinate shown by your device. Test yourself how long you take to fill it in. Then take in account that you will have to tell the operator every digit, comma, etc. The chance of an error is big!
maybe someone is game on doing a test with you. shout out the coördinate and let some els fill it in. ;)

Good luck to you all, keep the shiny side up and all of this is of no importance. ;)

Best regards,
Albert Oosting
Adventure Shield
0 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:32 pm

Interesting information again, thanks guys!
That is in NL but what about other TET countries?
I will be trying to get some info regarding this topic from authorities in Ukraine for which I’m a responsible for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR (for sale!)