From Denmark to the Baltics

Multi-Country trip planning. Find buddies for your very own TET-à-TET

Moderators: Don T, Froggy

Post Reply
Hkon89
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:11 pm

From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Hkon89 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Hey everybody,
My gf and I are planning a one month trip next year. We're meeting in Denmark, or possibly northern Germany (I'm going for a two month trip to Morocco and southern Europe first). From Denmark/Germany we have planned to follow the TET through Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, before taking the ferry to Sweden and riding back home to Norway. According to the time recommended by the linesmen for each country, we should be able to make it in one month. However, I'm not sure what speeds the linesmen are keeping compared to what we will keep. Therefore we're open to skipping some parts, the question is which parts?

For those of you who've ridden these trails, are there some parts that's not as fun we can skip to make time?
Also, any tips for tires? Is Mitas E07 good enough, or should we go for E09? And are there any places along the route that is good for getting new tires, if we need to change?
0 x
User avatar
Navrix
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:15 pm
Location: Riga

Re: From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Navrix » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Regarding Baltic region (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), - in my opinion Mitas E07 tires will be not good. enough. Mitas E09 will be definitely better choice!
It depends from the weather conditions, but usually autumn season is quite wet and muddy here in Baltic region in the forest sections and Mitas E07 will not work here properly and even could be dangerous on slippery wet grass and mud.
If you will run out of time and you'll be forced to skip some sections in Latvia, then following part, which is shown below, is quite boring, with a mostly lot of long gravel roads (I could say the same about the Lithuanian TET, which is closer to Latvia border). The next sections - from the North West - heading to the East - are really enjoyable. Do not skip it! :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZMDsL ... L64YCL8Dy2
Last edited by Navrix on Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Hkon89
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Hkon89 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Navrix wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:36 pm
Regarding Baltic region (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania), - in my opinion Mitas E07 tires will be not good. enough. Mitas E09 will be definitely better choice!
It depends from the weather conditions, but usually autumn season is quite wet and muddy here in Baltic region in the forest sections and Mitas E07 will not work here properly and even could be dangerous on slippery wet grass and mud.
If you will run out of time and you'll be forced to skip some sections in Latvia, then following part, which is shown below, is quite boring, with a mostly lot of long gravel roads (I could say the same about the Lithuanian TET, which is closer to Latvia border). The next sections - from the North West - heading to the East - are really enjoyable. Do not skip it! :)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZMDsL ... L64YCL8Dy2
Thanks a lot Navrix, and sorry for replying so late, been busy the last couple of weeks. We will probably try to get som E09's or similar, hopefully it's not too difficult finding a place where they sell some if we need to change tires underway. We'll keep in mind the sections you're proposing to skip and not to skip ;) Looking forward to a great adventure next summer :D
0 x
Sukke
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:27 pm
Location: SW Finland
x 2

Re: From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Sukke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am

Hkon89 wrote:Hey everybody,
My gf and I are planning a one month trip next year. We're meeting in Denmark, or possibly northern Germany (I'm going for a two month trip to Morocco and southern Europe first). From Denmark/Germany we have planned to follow the TET through Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, before taking the ferry to Sweden and riding back home to Norway. According to the time recommended by the linesmen for each country, we should be able to make it in one month. However, I'm not sure what speeds the linesmen are keeping compared to what we will keep. Therefore we're open to skipping some parts, the question is which parts?

For those of you who've ridden these trails, are there some parts that's not as fun we can skip to make time?
Also, any tips for tires? Is Mitas E07 good enough, or should we go for E09? And are there any places along the route that is good for getting new tires, if we need to change?
What I have been riding at Baltics and Poland, I wouln’t run neither or Mitas tires you have planned. Ground can be very muddy and slippery, especially, when wet, quite different to most of, what I have seen at Norway and Sweden, or Finland where I live. Problem with e07 is, that it is too closed and with e09 that it has no grip on sideways, when it gets slippery. As you don’t tell your bikes, I can’t recommend tires, but my opinion is, that you need more knoppy option.


Sent from Tapatalk
0 x
Hkon89
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Re: From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Hkon89 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Sukke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am
Hkon89 wrote:Hey everybody,
My gf and I are planning a one month trip next year. We're meeting in Denmark, or possibly northern Germany (I'm going for a two month trip to Morocco and southern Europe first). From Denmark/Germany we have planned to follow the TET through Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, before taking the ferry to Sweden and riding back home to Norway. According to the time recommended by the linesmen for each country, we should be able to make it in one month. However, I'm not sure what speeds the linesmen are keeping compared to what we will keep. Therefore we're open to skipping some parts, the question is which parts?

For those of you who've ridden these trails, are there some parts that's not as fun we can skip to make time?
Also, any tips for tires? Is Mitas E07 good enough, or should we go for E09? And are there any places along the route that is good for getting new tires, if we need to change?
What I have been riding at Baltics and Poland, I wouln’t run neither or Mitas tires you have planned. Ground can be very muddy and slippery, especially, when wet, quite different to most of, what I have seen at Norway and Sweden, or Finland where I live. Problem with e07 is, that it is too closed and with e09 that it has no grip on sideways, when it gets slippery. As you don’t tell your bikes, I can’t recommend tires, but my opinion is, that you need more knoppy option.


Sent from Tapatalk
Thanks for your input! Both of us are going to buy a 2020 husky 701 enduro, we've already signed up for two bikes at the dealer. Any tips on tires for this bike? And would it be easy to get a hold of tires like these along the TET?
0 x
Sukke
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:27 pm
Location: SW Finland
x 2

Re: From Denmark to the Baltics

Post by Sukke » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Hkon89, you are going to have interesting trips:) you have picked great bikes.
I used to ride Triumph Tiger 800 XC, changed to Adventurised KTM 500 EXC for this year. My driving is kind of fast and as much as possible on gravel and off road, so I prefer good grip over high kms.
Front is not so big problem of longevity point of view, as it usually lasts twice longer, than rear, so you can get decent kilometers for aggressive tires too. At front I have liked most Metzeler Six Days Extreme hard, this I have used with both, Tiger and EXC. SDE gives good predictable grip and good kms. I like to have stable front, so I use as agressive front tire as possible.
As you are going to ride tet route, you should have agressive rear tires too. If you want to get best grip, you should use road legal enduro tires at rear too. Metzeler Six Days Extreme hard gives good grip, but lasts only about four thousand km or less. Of cource lasting depends a lot, how aggressive your driving is on and off road. Michelin Tracker seems to last atleast one k more, but grip is not as good at hard surface. If you want long lasting rear, then you could concider for example Continental TKC 80 rear, but then you loose lots of grip at hard terrain.
Hope this helps you with your planning, you are anyway going to have great trip


Sent from Tapatalk
0 x
Post Reply