Smartphone for Navigation

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

chrishimself

Smartphone for Navigation

Post by chrishimself » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Hey guys!

As an alternative to a proper navigation system (i.e. Garmin) Im looking for a cheap smartphone which only purpose is to function as a navigator (i.e. with OmAnd)

Can you recommend a smartphone for this use?
(big screen, cheap, decent battery, etc.)
Last edited by chrishimself on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
StefAr

Re: Cheap Smartphone for Navigation

Post by StefAr » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:12 pm

I would suggest that you buy a waterproof one. Battery doesn't really matters as long as you have a usb charger. I am using my old smartphone (it has a minor crack on the screen and the return button is damaged) deleted all photos and programs (except navigation app's) and it does the job done.
1 x
woodie1977

Post by woodie1977 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 pm

I use a samsung tab active, waterproof 8 inch tablet, with gps, gsm, and extra memory! Perfect roadview!!
1 x
F650GS dakar... of wat er nog origineel aan is...
Didado

Post by Didado » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 am

woodie1977 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 pm
I use a samsung tab active, waterproof 8 inch tablet, with gps, gsm, and extra memory! Perfect roadview!!
Me too. Don't want anything else!
0 x
Navrix

Post by Navrix » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:17 am

Didado wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 am
woodie1977 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:54 pm
Me too. Don't want anything else!
Hey guys. I am curious - how do you fix your 8' tablet on your bikes? Which holder do you use?
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 am

RAM makes a RAM mount specifically for the Active Tab 2. Here's a short video of the Galaxy on my bike;

0 x
Glider

Post by Glider » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Didado,

I just received the Galaxy Tab Active 2 RAM cradle and I'm installing it on my bike, but neither the power connector nor the POGO pins seems to be waterproof.
Have yoy ever used it in wet/rainy conditions?
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 am

Glider wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:52 pm
Didado,

I just received the Galaxy Tab Active 2 RAM cradle and I'm installing it on my bike, but neither the power connector nor the POGO pins seems to be waterproof.
Have yoy ever used it in wet/rainy conditions?
Use it in the rain all the time but not with the Pogo. I've never even tried the Pogo because every rider I spoke to, said it sucks at charging with all the vibrations. I use usb, also in the rain.
0 x
Glider

Re: Smartphone for Navigation

Post by Glider » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:37 pm

After few months and about 4.000 km I confirm what Didado said, almost impossible to power the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2 with POGOs on my Husqvarna 701.

In the beginning I tried with a typical motorbike USB charger bought on Amazon.
The first time I used it I got a heavy rain, after 15/20 minutes on the Tab screen appeared a message that suggested to disconnect USB cable due humidity, after less than 3 hours the USB charger was fried despite a lot of connector blowing/cleaning/drying.

Then I tried with a 5A power supply connected to POGOs plug, but it never charged the Tab while riding, I could only charge it with engine turned off due vibrations.
No problem with water, at least when the bike was standstill.

I changed again and mounted a new USB charger that I'm still using without any problem in dry weather.
In rainy weather I disconnect the USB cable and protect the USB charger: on rainy days it is possible to reduce the screen brightness to save power and charging the tab with a small powerbank when I stop, it's enough to make a full riding day.

Just for information, the Tab requires about 1,5 A to charge while using it at full brightess with Locus and Osmand running.
Beside the powering problems, Galaxy Active Tab 2 + Locus off road + Osmand on road is great, bright enough to see it even in sunny days, easier to use compared to my Garmin Montana, light years ahead Montana and Tomtom Rider for GPX track management (download, upload, sharing, navigating, showing on screen), especially with Locus.

if you have better power supply solutions, please share.
0 x