Water filters on the trail and for camping

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

Didado

Re: Water filters on the trail and for camping

Post by Didado » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 am

Team MandM wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:28 am
Hello, in my experience it is very very rare you need filtering the water in Norway. Only if there are dead animals or something like that it might be an idea. When we are touring in Norway we get water from springs/lakes etc if not on gas stations, camping places etc. :-) You can always drink from the tap anywhere unless it says otherwise of course. Good luck with your trip. :-)
Just google Norway Giardia infection and you might want to reconsider :-)
0 x
trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

I also ordered the Sawyer Mini Filter for now. Amazing price, 25€ on Amazon. Reviews and tests are good aswell. Has anyone experience with this filter? cheers
0 x
Asgard

Post by Asgard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:28 pm

What about just carrying water purification tablets?, Ive used them a lot when taking water from streams and rivers and have been ok, they are so small you can have them packed all the time.
0 x
Womble

Post by Womble » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Team MandM wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:28 am
Hello, in my experience it is very very rare you need filtering the water in Norway. Only if there are dead animals or something like that it might be an idea. When we are touring in Norway we get water from springs/lakes etc if not on gas stations, camping places etc. :-) You can always drink from the tap anywhere unless it says otherwise of course. Good luck with your trip. :-)
I would always filter water from an open source. Just because you don't see a dead animal were you collect your water, you just can't know whats been polluting water a little higher / further upstream.

My dog drinks water from literally every puddle - so her stomach is used to quite a bit of bacteria. But even she managed to get herself infected a few years back in a forest, requiring her to take daily medication for the rest of her dog life.
0 x
abreilprey

Post by abreilprey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:12 am

There are many water filter solutions who offers water filters on rent, I think you can search online for them and hire one of the best.
0 x
Speedy

Post by Speedy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 pm

We call it natural selection ,which is welcome ,OOOO
surface water is never 100 % safe , however , on the Alps you find very easily water source from springs .
I personally never ever used a water filter in the Alps.
If you want to use tablets , certainly you are aware that water treatment needs 3-6 hours with tablet in order to be classed drinkable .
silver ions need time to work , and kill all the bugs .

bye Speedy
0 x
simon p

Post by simon p » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 pm

I needed to use my Sawyer mini this year as ran out of water in the middle of Wales doesn't take up much room , Must work as still breathing
0 x