Water filters on the trail and for camping

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

*kartman*

Water filters on the trail and for camping

Post by *kartman* » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Hey :greetings-waveyellow:

Is here anyone using any water filter system ?
Until now I didn't use any and always got my fresh water from springs (in the alps) or bought it.

For my 4-weeks-journey through scandinavia I'm looking for a solution for a possible problem.
I always have a Source Widepack in my backpack and can use the filter below,
so getting filtered water from rivers along the trail should be no problem.

I'm just thinking about the wild camping spots now, where I will need water for cooking, washing, making cereals using milk powder and stuff like that.
Sure I could press water out of the Source bladder and through the filter, but that really doesn't sound like a great solution, does it ?

For washing I always used a foldable water canister with petcock, with which you don't need a third hand to hold any waterbottles :lol
As it still is a bit bulky I thought about getting a foldable water sack with quench-head-like outlet.

Image Image

Does anybody of you know a working solution for filtered water out of such a container ?
It sure should also outpour properly and not just drip a bit.

So how do you do it, share your experiences :handgestures-thumbup:

Best, Martin
0 x
Schussboelie

Re: Water filters on the trail and for camping

Post by Schussboelie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 pm

I can say that between my 1,5l Camelbak and an extra 2l plastic water bottle, which can easily be filled for free at gas stations and the like, I never found myself short of water during my 3 weeks in Finland and Norway...
0 x
trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:25 pm

I have been touring through norway, sweden and finland for 6 weeks and never had any water issues. you have to go to a gas station sooner or later if you are riding everyday. you can refill water for free at gas stations. i had a 10 liter ortlieb waterbag with me. no problem at all. :)
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Good to hear they at least have free water :D But the extra weight on the bike when carrying 5 litres or more :-((
0 x
trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:12 pm

i carried even more. 10 liters. i didn't mind that at all :) if i had too much water i used it to take a quick shower :D
0 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Nordic countries are the last places on the planet where I would be worried about the drinking water, frankly!
But otherwise, this is very important and interesting topic I’ve been thinking about for last 3+ years when traveling on the motorcycle.
Subscribing in to read your thoughts regarding it guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR
KTM 1190 Adventure
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Ok I now got the 10 litre Ortlieb water bag to use as a camping shower for a catwash and also the Sawyer 0,1mm water filter set which comes with a little bladder to squeeze the water through the filter.
So I think I'm good to go for making water for coffee and milk powder for cereals even if I don't have any fresh water with me.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:08 pm

Oleksii wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm
Nordic countries are the last places on the planet where I would be worried about the drinking water, frankly!
But otherwise, this is very important and interesting topic I’ve been thinking about for last 3+ years when traveling on the motorcycle.

Make no mistake about it but just because the Nordic water is clear, it doesn't mean the water is clean.

I lived in Alaska for nine years during the eighties. There were constant warnings about drinking water out of rivers and creeks in the bush because of the risk of Giardia infection. Animals shit and pee near rivers.
0 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Didado wrote:
Oleksii wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Make no mistake about it but just because the Nordic water is clear, it doesn't mean the water is clean.

I lived in Alaska for nine years during the eighties. There were constant warnings about drinking water out of rivers and creeks in the bush because of the risk of Giardia infection. Animals shit and pee near rivers.
Totally agree with you buddy, needed to clarify my statement that Nordic TAP water is clean, not all the water on the North is clean obviously!

0 x
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR
KTM 1190 Adventure
Team MandM

Post by Team MandM » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:28 am

Hello, in my experience it is very very rare you need filtering the water in Norway. Only if there are dead animals or something like that it might be an idea. When we are touring in Norway we get water from springs/lakes etc if not on gas stations, camping places etc. :-) You can always drink from the tap anywhere unless it says otherwise of course. Good luck with your trip. :-)
0 x