Tools and spares (KTM690E but mostly general)

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

trunkenpolz

Re: Tools and spares (KTM690E but mostly general)

Post by trunkenpolz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:56 am

was anyone with a 690E experiencing fuelpump issues? any tips or advices regarding this or spareparts regarding fuelpump?
grüße :)
0 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:48 pm

trunkenpolz wrote:was anyone with a 690E experiencing fuelpump issues? any tips or advices regarding this or spareparts regarding fuelpump?
grüße :)
Yes, carry a spare cheap fuel pump with you and preferably a spare injector (not necessarily new, can be a used one but cleaned and checked at home).
Also, fit some filtering to the fuel system or at least a high (“rally style”) filler neck to prevent dirt falling into the tank with original key lock filler.
You can also use a guglatech fuel sock or add some in-line filters (before the injector)
Otherwise you can get stuck somewhere nowhere like this ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR
KTM 1190 Adventure
trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:53 pm

thanks a lot. i just ordered a spare fuel pump to add to my travel spares. You cannot buy the pump separately at the KTM shops, they will charge you around 300€ for the pump including all housing, tubings, connectors and everything. I found a site where you can buy the pump separately and i ordered this one. :)
(https://mtp-racing.de/Benzinpumpe-KTM?c ... D4QAvD_BwE)

I already have the "high filler neck" with the acerbis screw on cap. do you think i should install an extra fuel filter? the "fuel socks" seem to be worth a try? cheap and quick to install. wich ones fill fit the high filler cap?

grüße
1 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Good choice! This is the one I meant above.... stock one is just insanely expensive!
Seeing this issue coming again and again (with injector being clogged due to bad filtering on pump) when we where on marathon to make it to the ferry from Sweden to Poland last summer after TET - last time we literally had to clean the injector 15 km and 45 minutes before vessel departing was not much fun.
So I think yes I’d better invest in good fuel filtering to avoid this happen again Image
Maybe this one is for your filler neck:
https://guglatech.it/en/products/M17006
But plz check with Guglatech to advice with correct size, they have many models as I know...

0 x
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR
KTM 1190 Adventure
trunkenpolz

Post by trunkenpolz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:54 pm

cool thanks for the info! thing is, i have a safari tank up front, so two of these filters seem to be quite expensive. maybe i use a normal in-line fuel filter between safari tank and rear tank, since fuel is not under pressure and runs just by gravity into the rear tank. so it can be filtered here by a simple fuel filter. just looking for a way to give the fuel i put into the rear tank some extra filtration. :)
0 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm

trunkenpolz wrote:cool thanks for the info! thing is, i have a safari tank up front, so two of these filters seem to be quite expensive. maybe i use a normal in-line fuel filter between safari tank and rear tank, since fuel is not under pressure and runs just by gravity into the rear tank. so it can be filtered here by a simple fuel filter. just looking for a way to give the fuel i put into the rear tank some extra filtration. :)
You are welcome!
As for the in-line filter on my 690 RFR (no injector and electric fuel pump, but good ol’ carb and pressure pump) I’m using the stock Mahle Filter which is model KL13OF, it is cheap and nearly transparent to see the condition and is good enough for gravitational use (enough of flow speed)

0 x
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR
KTM 1190 Adventure
Staubteufelchen

Post by Staubteufelchen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:05 pm

For the general aspect/view, I try to bring the needed tools and parts to cover
check/fill-up oil (-level)
lube and adjust chain
change/clean airfilter
wheels -> dismounting/mounting
tire repairs
replace brake pads
replace clutch- and handbrake-levers
replace gas- and clutchcable (only take the inner part plus nipple-set)
replace main-bulbs
clean carburater
tighten M5/M6/M8/M10/M12 etc. screws, depending on the bike of choice

quick-steel, two comonent glue, zip-ties, wire, cable, tape, M6 and M8 screws and nuts, machanical-gloves and/or a tiny bit of outdoor soap
0 x