Which laptop/tablet to bring on a journey..?

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

Don T
Linesman

Re: Which laptop/tablet to bring on a journey..?

Post by Don T » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:05 pm

Ended up ordering an Acer Swift 1 which should arrive in a few days.
Seems like a very good combination of price, size and performance for a travel laptop.
1 x
Riding a Super Ténéré - if it was good enough for Stéphane, it's good enough for me :lol
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Womble

Post by Womble » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:34 pm

If you just want to backup and maybe watch videos of your GoPro or pictures from your camera you could use this solution which packs small.

a Lacie Rugged external disk drive (SSD if you want) + RAVPower Wifi Router/Card reader. The RavPower also can charge your phone. My one is a 6000 mA version

Insert memory card to the RAV, connect the HDD to RAV by USB and your iOS/Android phone by Wifi to run the App that will let you manage files on the memory card and HDD. You can even watch pictures/videos on the mobile, but obviously editing would be a nightmare.

For trip notes I go very old school - a little book with empty pages and a pencil.
2 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:01 pm

Womble wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:34 pm
If you just want to backup and maybe watch videos of your GoPro or pictures from your camera you could use this solution which packs small.

a Lacie Rugged external disk drive (SSD if you want) + RAVPower Wifi Router/Card reader. The RavPower also can charge your phone. My one is a 6000 mA version

Insert memory card to the RAV, connect the HDD to RAV by USB and your iOS/Android phone by Wifi to run the App that will let you manage files on the memory card and HDD. You can even watch pictures/videos on the mobile, but obviously editing would be a nightmare.

For trip notes I go very old school - a little book with empty pages and a pencil.
RAV - thats one interesting device! :studyinggray: :handgestures-thumbup:
0 x
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR
KTM 1190 Adventure
Didado

Post by Didado » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Oleksii wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:01 pm
Womble wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:34 pm

RAV - thats one interesting device! :studyinggray: :handgestures-thumbup:
Ard, if you like that setup you may also want to look at the My Passport Wireless Pro. It is basically that same setup but all in one. In other words a wireless, battery powered harddisk with SD card reader, usb portsfor attaching even more harddisks and you can charge your smartphone also and via an app on your phone or tablet you have access to the data on the disks.

I have three of them and I also have the mentioned Rugged LaCie. I no longer bring a laptop on my motorcycle adventures but use the My Passport to offload footage from my GoPro's and DJI drone.
0 x