What type of stove?

Camping, cooking, carrying, recovering, repairing and despairing

Moderator: Spietfriek

alanholt

What type of stove?

Post by alanholt » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 pm

I've always had gas canister stoves when camping, they're light, clean, easy, but considering riding the TET and other off-road trails, i'm being swayed towards a multifuel stove. The reason being that whilst the bike has fuel, I always have fuel for the stove, and the stove fuel bottle also serves a spare fuel for the bike should i need it. Am I overthinking the situation, or just wanting to buy something new? What do you guys use?
0 x
Guided motorbike tours in Spain - www.spanishmotorbiketours.co.uk
Womble

Re: What type of stove?

Post by Womble » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:23 am

I did a trip a few years back, cooking with a multifuel stove. Two minor issues, but they made me move away from this as a permanent cooking solution :
1 - the stove needs to be primed which is a big open flame - this can be delicate in dry conditions
2 - using bike fuel is very dirty (+technically cancerous) - you will get black soot all over your cooking stuff. Prepare for eating with black fingers ;-)

If you want the multifuel stoves to burn clean, you will need special fuel which you can't use for your bike, so that would take away the advantage of the bike fuel reserve.

I have gas stoves which use the screw top canisters. I leave with two full canisters. Each canister will typically last for several days, so when I start with the 2nd canister it leaves me plenty of time to find replacement. I also carry an adapter for puncture type cartridges which can be found nearly everywhere.

I kept carrying the MFS for a few years, but never had to use it. Considering that the TET is in Europe, you just don't get far enough away from civilization...
1 x
Robbo

Post by Robbo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:34 pm

ive just picked up this little fella. works well in my garden but wont know fully until proper test on the trails
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x
Womble

Post by Womble » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Interesting concept. Wood stoves definitively work for many light weight backpackers. You should train to use it in wet conditions. Make sure to have enough dry fuel to get started. Just like with a bigger campfire keep some twigs close to the fire to dry, so you have wood for the next day.

What works great as a firestarter are cotton balls covered with some vasiline.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
0 x
Angustoyou

Post by Angustoyou » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:34 pm

I like the Svea 123. Compact, powerful, fits inside my cook pot with space for a tea towel, cutlery, lighter etc. Fuel from the bike and simplicity itself from a 100 year old design. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimus-801627 ... B000XZ5FDY
1 x
DavidADV

Post by DavidADV » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:32 am

On this topic, if I dont have a multi-fuel stove, are normal gas canisters like what MSR makes often available in towns along the TET?
0 x
Pingvin

Post by Pingvin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Had MSR whisperlite multifuel burner, thought good idea as fuel double as spare gas. It worked fine but just a bit to much hassel, my buddy with gas canister had boiling water while I was still getting stuff out. And, yes, you get black fingers.

So sold the whisperlite and bought gas canister, just so much easier and fits into 0.7L titaium cup bought on ebay so much more compact as well. And got the rade garage extra fuel tank for my 690 so can probaly do 400km now so no need for spare fuel any more
0 x
2010 KTM 990 SMR - 2008 KTM 690 Enduro - 2017 KTM 450 EXC-F