Can I use my Samsung s6 for tet

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Mountaincadre

Can I use my Samsung s6 for tet

Post by Mountaincadre » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Going to be doing some/most of the Spanish tet this June and I'm wondering if i can use my s6 for the navigation, I'm looking to keep the nav as simple as possible as navigating with a phone is new to me,(off road I mean) I've read a little about it and to be honest not being a techno geek I'm unsure, map and compass is what I use mtbing and walking , I presume I'll have to get some sort of app but not to sure what is best,( ideally I'd like something with a simple arrow to follow-is that even possible?) Any advice gratefully received, M.
0 x
Glider

Re: Can I use my Samsung s6 for tet

Post by Glider » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:11 pm

I can suggest the app Locus.
There is a free edition with few limitations and an advertising banner or a € 10 pro version.
You can navigate using on line maps (some for free, some to be paid) or, better for off road bikers, free off line maps taken from OpenAndromaps, very easy to download and install directly in Locus, just few clicks away.
For basic navigation it is quite easy to learn, but it could take a while to master the countless and most advanced options.
1 x
bobtail

Post by bobtail » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:00 pm

Generally speaking, off-road tracks are not routeable which means a GPS or phone won't have arrows telling you where to go.

Openstreetmaps are the best, which is a set of maps that can be used in various apps on your phone, or on various GPS devices. You'll see a map with all roads & trials (even down to small footpaths). Once you've imported the TET gpx file, you'll see a line highlighting the track. You'll also see a dot showing where you are now. Your job is to keep the dot on the line :)

On slow paths with lots of turns it's best to zoom in and on fast roads it's better to zoom out. Practice before setting off on a big trip.

It takes a bit of getting used to but navigating is part of off-roading.
0 x
Meetchee

Post by Meetchee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi, I use TwoNav on my S5, with this app offroad tracks are routable, the app is 5 euros and OSM maps for Europe are 6 euros. You'll probably have to download the app "keep screen on" (otherwise the screen will shut off after 30 minutes)
And your phone must be connected to a power supply if you want to ride for more than an hour. It's better to get used to using the app before leaving, it takes a while to learn all the tricks.
I also have OsmAnd on my phone but I prefer TwoNav, it's easier to use and the cost is very low.
With Twonav you can alos download TomTom maps to guide you on the roads but it's a bit expensive....
Good luck, while i'm writing I remember the first time a used a navigator with the bike, not easy at the beginning....
If you need more info, don't hesitate....
Michel
0 x
mspenz

Post by mspenz » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:19 pm

OsmAnd works for me, nice and simple and will cost just a few Euro for the upgrade. Always worthwhile having a backup device with the tracks added if you are planning a longer trip.
1 x