How do I install the OSM maps once downloaded

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Cockney

How do I install the OSM maps once downloaded

Post by Cockney » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 am

Hi guys
Just downloaded the France maps from OSM and opened Basecamp, but cannot see any maps.
We will be navigating using 2x Garmin Zumo 550s.
Our trip with be from Santander and then across the Pyrenees and then take the TET north to Cherbourg. We leave on 6 July and cannot wait!
Thanks for your help
Andy
0 x
WillS

Re: How do I install the OSM maps once downloaded

Post by WillS » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:13 am

There are two types of files. 1 for uploading in BaseCamp and the other for Garmin device etc.
It states at the top which file you should use.
For BaseCamp it has to be an extracting file. Garmin a single .img file from memory, this can be copied to the Garmin folder on the device.
Hope that helps.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:38 am

Cockney wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:42 am
Hi guys
Just downloaded the France maps from OSM and opened Basecamp, but cannot see any maps.
We will be navigating using 2x Garmin Zumo 550s.
Our trip with be from Santander and then across the Pyrenees and then take the TET north to Cherbourg. We leave on 6 July and cannot wait!
Thanks for your help
Andy
There are extensive tutorials on Openmtbmap for both Windows and Mac and of course Garmins. Those maps by the way are very good also.
0 x
Cockney

Post by Cockney » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 am

Thanks very much!!!

Another question: Once the maps are loaded and the TET GPX routes imported into Basecamp, I downloaded them to my Zumo 550. I then import the data and once it gets to 'Calculating 100%' it states 'Route is too long. Guidance towards the end of the route will be updated as you get closer to your destination'. Do I need to worry about this? Or will there simply be a breadcrumb on the screen to follow?

Thanks again

Andy

PS We are doing the French route from South to North
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 am

Cockney wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 am
Thanks very much!!!

Another question: Once the maps are loaded and the TET GPX routes imported into Basecamp, I downloaded them to my Zumo 550. I then import the data and once it gets to 'Calculating 100%' it states 'Route is too long. Guidance towards the end of the route will be updated as you get closer to your destination'. Do I need to worry about this? Or will there simply be a breadcrumb on the screen to follow?

Thanks again

Andy

PS We are doing the French route from South to North
First you need to change your choice of words. The TET trails we download are Tracks. Tracks are GPS breadcrumbs. Routes are trails via roads with nav instructions.

In Basecamp you should 'split' the TET tracks into manageable chunks, perhaps into 150 km or 1 day rides and number them accordingly. Other then that don't do anything with them in Basecamp. Do not make a Track into a Route.

Just upload the tracks into the Zumo, go to apps and choose the Tracks app. There you can make the Track Visible on the map and choose a color for the track. That's all. Just follow the Track line on the map.

If you must have nav instructions do above and then choose Make Trip from Track in the Track app. Next go to the trip app and choose the newly made Trip (which is the same as a route and very confusing). It will calculate a route and give you instructions however you can not rely on the routing. It may do well for 50 km and then when the original Track really follows trails that are not on you digital map it will go hay wire. That's why you should rely on that Track line visibly on the map. That one never changes.

After the Zumo routing messed up my Pyrenees trip two years ago I never use the routing anymore for offroad. I just follow the Track line on the map. Instead I may put on some music :-)
1 x
Cockney

Post by Cockney » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:12 pm

Thanks!
1 x