Convert TET track to route for older Garmin ?

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

*kartman*

Convert TET track to route for older Garmin ?

Post by *kartman* » Thu May 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Hey, I just wondered how many of you do the TET whilst using the routing-function of your (Garmin) GPS device.
I have an older GPSmap 278 with City Navigator 2008 and did upload the TET track as an transparent overlay map to have it as a cyan line on my display. So far so good, but there´s now no way to navigate it by the gps internal trackback or autorouting function. How do you guys do this ? Just follow the line and stare at the display pretty often ? I´d really like to get a small hint after every corner to know if I can twist the throttle or enjoy the landscape for the next 5km or if I will need to take another turn after 300 meters ... But when I try to convert parts of the track to a route with mapsource or the free tool routeconverter, my device always cuts waypoints off (even if the route only has about 150). So how do you navigate your tet tracks on older devices ? I could recalculate the tracks to be under 500 waypoints, but they will get a bit too imprecise then ...

Best, Martin
0 x
Didado

Re: Convert TET track to route for older Garmin ?

Post by Didado » Fri May 18, 2018 6:13 am

If you like to go off the beaten TET try autorouting;-)

It will tell you in advance with voice instructions to turn left in 50 meters onto the road while the TET goes right in a 100 meter onto a muddy single track through the woods which is not on the map. Your voice guide will route you automatically on a wonderful holiday sight seeing villages and other wonderful tourist attractions that are not part of the TET :-)

If you'd like to follow the TET I strongly advise following the track line on the display. It is really not a big deal and the only way to follow the TET.

A route will always force you to follow roads on the map which is no good when the path goes 'off the road' and is not a road, track or trail on the digital map.

But if you must: I don't know about the 278 but on newer Garmin's you load the track onto the device and via Track Manager you choose Make Route from Track and it will automatically create a route for you that doesn't follow the TET exactly. You don't need mapsource or Garmin BaseCamp.
0 x
*kartman*

Post by *kartman* » Fri May 18, 2018 8:53 am

I know it could and will possibly happen to try to navigate me on different roads than the TET track when trying to go on autorouting. But I think in sweden it will stick a lot to "real gravel roads" that are also contained in my City Navigator map and are routable. So this is at least an idea, but you're right somehow.

I'm used to ride by routing and also trackback on shorter distances, which means I'm just following the track on the display, BUT the GPS will show me the distance to the next trackpoint which I'll have to reach by air line. But this is working pretty good if the distances between the waypoints are longer on straight sections and smaller on narrower tricky navigation sections. This can somtimes be 20 metres, in other times I can go full throttle for 3km. However, this will not work when a track has 9000 trackpoints like most of the TET tracks (it would always say I'll reach the next waypoint within some 10-100 metres) and also my old Garmin can only handle up to 15 tracks of 500 points each.

I once made my own track with the waypoints each being about 200 metres before every corner. Together with my Touratech Nav Assistant (GPS repeater with course indicator LEDs) the LEDs did show me whether to turn left or right just before I reached the next corner. This was some proper fast offroad navigation technique, but I can't rework the whole TET for this type of riding, it would take me days...

I could now recalculate the tracks to have below 500 waypoints, which will lead to a loss in detail but will give me the chance to know "ok I can go almost straight for the next 2km now" which is not too far away from real autorouting. With the superdetailed TET track IMG converted overlay as a on-off-switchable map, I would have the exact track "below" the active imprecise track to have a more detailed look on it when navigation becomes tricky.

Ah and when I try to convert a track (even a shortened one with under 500 waypoints) into a route on my old 278, it will always cut off and shorten the route due to a lack of memory.

Best, Martin
0 x
Brian Eland

Post by Brian Eland » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:32 am

*kartman* wrote:I know it could and will possibly happen to try to navigate me on different roads than the TET track when trying to go on autorouting. But I think in sweden it will stick a lot to "real gravel roads" that are also contained in my City Navigator map and are routable. So this is at least an idea, but you're right somehow.

I'm used to ride by routing and also trackback on shorter distances, which means I'm just following the track on the display, BUT the GPS will show me the distance to the next trackpoint which I'll have to reach by air line. But this is working pretty good if the distances between the waypoints are longer on straight sections and smaller on narrower tricky navigation sections. This can somtimes be 20 metres, in other times I can go full throttle for 3km. However, this will not work when a track has 9000 trackpoints like most of the TET tracks (it would always say I'll reach the next waypoint within some 10-100 metres) and also my old Garmin can only handle up to 15 tracks of 500 points each.

I once made my own track with the waypoints each being about 200 metres before every corner. Together with my Touratech Nav Assistant (GPS repeater with course indicator LEDs) the LEDs did show me whether to turn left or right just before I reached the next corner. This was some proper fast offroad navigation technique, but I can't rework the whole TET for this type of riding, it would take me days...

I could now recalculate the tracks to have below 500 waypoints, which will lead to a loss in detail but will give me the chance to know "ok I can go almost straight for the next 2km now" which is not too far away from real autorouting. With the superdetailed TET track IMG converted overlay as a on-off-switchable map, I would have the exact track "below" the active imprecise track to have a more detailed look on it when navigation becomes tricky.

Ah and when I try to convert a track (even a shortened one with under 500 waypoints) into a route on my old 278, it will always cut off and shorten the route due to a lack of memory.

Best, Martin
Already done for the UK track it has been converted to route by hand so every junction has waypoints so routing on GPS works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 x
Brian Eland.
About me www.facebook.com/brian.eland
TET Trans Euro Training
www.facebook.com/TransEuroTraning
Brian Eland Motorcycles.
@Brian Eland Motorcycles
Tyres, Tubes, Big Tanks, Handguards, Levers, Preparation. Guided Trail riding, Garmin GPS.