My Basecamp has gone bonkers - help!

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:36 am

Hi,

I've used Basecamp for years but mostly for managing trails that I've recorded 'live' or created on Wikiloc, etc. but occasionally I use it for creating road routes. So far so good.

But in the last week I've had to use the 'Road' tool more to create a whole set of routes and after making about three Basecamp has simply gone 'mad', instead of making a route from A to B via whatever the Preference settings are, e.g. curvy roads, fastest, etc. and then I add a few Waypoints to alter it to the various POI's it either just gives a straight line that refuses to change or a stupid route, e.g. from Altafulla on the Mediterranean coast to Tremp in the Pyrenees but via France and Andorra!

I've tried returning the Preferences to default, using another route 'mode', i.e. car, but it's just the same.

Anyone know what can be done? This is a Big Problem for me that will also affect the task of devising the Great East Iberan Trail on the TET:

Thanks

Simon
0 x
Visit thespanishbiker.com, 'The essential companion to biking in Spain' :P

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Paul C

Re: My Basecamp has gone bonkers - help!

Post by Paul C » Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 am

No idea Simon but I find Basecamp very frustrating. I have had a similar issue myself once. Also had similar on a device. Both cleared up but I've no idea why.
I lean towards Motoplanner.de these days. The ability to easily switch between a variety of maps plus switch to point to point plotting when it can't "see" a "road" really helps. Good luck.
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
Schussboelie

Post by Schussboelie » Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 am

Which map are you using, Simon?

Paul C wrote:switch to point to point plotting when it can't "see" a "road" really helps. Good luck.
Basecamp can do that do, just choose ‘Worldmap’.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sat May 05, 2018 5:50 am

Hi Simon, I don't have a direct solution. Try switching maps if you can and test again. If it doesn't work you should backup (to your PC) all Basecamp content and reinstall Basecamp.

Having said that, Basecamp is dead as a program. Garmin stopped development in 2016 and does not support it anymore.

There are many online alternatives. My personal favorite is www.plotaroute.com. If you pay the minor premium fee you can plot tracks and have a split window open with Google Street View. Brilliant!
0 x
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 am

Paul C wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:10 am
No idea Simon but I find Basecamp very frustrating. I have had a similar issue myself once. Also had similar on a device. Both cleared up but I've no idea why.
I lean towards Motoplanner.de these days. The ability to easily switch between a variety of maps plus switch to point to point plotting when it can't "see" a "road" really helps. Good luck.
Thanks Paul, now I come to think of it I have had similar problems in the past, but this time it's more stressful as I have a deadline to beat ...
Schussboelie wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:41 am
Which map are you using, Simon?

Paul C wrote:switch to point to point plotting when it can't "see" a "road" really helps. Good luck.
Basecamp can do that do, just choose ‘Worldmap’.
I've tried all of my maps but I'll double check in a few minutes.
Didado wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 5:50 am
Hi Simon, I don't have a direct solution. Try switching maps if you can and test again. If it doesn't work you should backup (to your PC) all Basecamp content and reinstall Basecamp.

Having said that, Basecamp is dead as a program. Garmin stopped development in 2016 and does not support it anymore.

There are many online alternatives. My personal favorite is www.plotaroute.com. If you pay the minor premium fee you can plot tracks and have a split window open with Google Street View. Brilliant!
Well Garmin kept that smitten of info to themselves! So how are users of satnavs supposed to manage their archives without an off-line? Bah, and there's us telling people that Basecamp is the universal 'standard' software ...

Meanwhile I've taken a preview of plotaroute and it looks great, a sort of route friendly Wikiloc, which I use to make tracks, so I'll definitely explore this i ndetail, thanks.

Regs

Simon
Last edited by Simon_100 on Sun May 06, 2018 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:15 am

OK, well the only 'Worldmap' that I have is 'Worldwide Autoroute DEM Basemap' and it still produces the same result:

The green route is the one I plotted first then the mauve one is when things went wrong. If I try to alter the route by adding waypoints it just goes 'there-and-back' from the original, utterly useless ...

Regs

Simon
0 x

Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Sun May 06, 2018 6:33 am

Simon_100 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 am

Meanwhile I've taken a preview of plotaroute and it looks great, a sort of route friendly Wikiloc, which I use to make tracks, so I'll definitely explore this i ndetail, thanks.

Regs

Simon
Wow! This is really good, the split screen with Streetview alone will save me hours! Definitely worth it for 14 quid a year!

Thanks guys! :)

Simon
Last edited by Simon_100 on Mon May 07, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Paul C

Post by Paul C » Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 pm

It looks like Basecamp is trying to use what it believes are roads. Maybe you've changed your route preferences by accident?
0 x
Just along for the ride.
CCM GP450 - GS Adv LC - Moto Guzzi LeMans II
Simon_100
Linesman

Post by Simon_100 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:11 am

Paul C wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 pm
It looks like Basecamp is trying to use what it believes are roads. Maybe you've changed your route preferences by accident?
No Paul, I did change the preferences but changed them back remember, and went over to the car 'mode' which still had its default preferences anyway ...

Simon
0 x