D.I.Y. Smartphone based Navigation Device with wireless charging... a winter project

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Rev
Administrator

D.I.Y. Smartphone based Navigation Device with wireless charging... a winter project

Post by Rev » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:32 pm

This thread serves as a placeholder until the author of the fantastic fb post below can fill it with more detailed content :tools-wrench:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 811&type=3
1 x
No guts, no glory :D

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
cometeus

Re: D.I.Y. Smartphone based Navigation Device with wireless charging... a winter project

Post by cometeus » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:58 am

First of all:

Hey I´m new to to the TET forum.
I´ll use the high interrest on my navigating solution in the TET FB Group and on FB generell to introduce myself here @ the forum:

My name is Tom, i´m from Austria.
Currently i am riding a 690ty ironpig called чернота (blackness).
Heres a pic of my beauty from a tour into the high alpine areas of Austria from the last year:
---

So back on topic:
As anounced by user Rev here`s a more detailed explanation of my Smartphone-/Navigation wireless charging Setup:

"D.I.Y. wireless charging Smartphone-Navigation-System"

In the real cold wintertime i was bored and thought about my current way of navigation on my motorcycle. For about 2 years (+30.000km) i was using a Garmin Montana 650t rugged outdoor navigation device for doing my offroad escapades. It worked ok, but now i want to get rid of it due its really old hardware, old software, old display, processing time, .... .
---> In my opinion its antiquated compared to the possibilities of a smartphone. A look to other current actual/new motorcycle navigations devices showed the same.
---> They are far beyond in many properties a smartphone offers.

So the decission was made: Lets use a Android device for navigating. First I thought about getting a Jesy J7 rugged Android China phone (rugged, Qi-Charging, Civilan-Radio Module integrated).
But I didn´t due the price and some reported problems with its houseing (frame).

Due to the fact, that i´m using a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact since about 2 years without any big trouble I thougt to myself lets stay with it.
I bought another used one for 130 Euro.
Its Hardware is strog, the screen is bright enough (also in sunlight), it got a glove mode, it has IP67 certification (also its open styled USB socket is IP67 certified) and with Android 7.0 it will work with the incoming apps of the next few years.

This Sony Z5C Device is only one part of the setup. What is also needed?:

For getting energy a waterproof 12V DC to USB Converter (delivers 2x1,5 Ampere) (3 Euro):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OPEN-SM ... 1839ef779f

A ultrathin AND WATERPROOF Qi-wireless charging pad powered via USB (1Ampere Charging Power) (20 Euro) :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fast-Wi ... 1839ef779f

For mounting the phone/charging pad @ the handlebar a RAM MOUNT X GRIP (thanks to Jakob W. for the idea) (30 Euro):
https://www.louis.at/artikel/ram-x-grip ... s/10032481

A ultrathin Qi Charging receiver with micro USB outlet - 1Ampere (2 Euro):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univers ... 1839ef779f

The smartphone itself is protected with a heavy rugged case from the company "Lovemei) (alloyframe, rubberdamping, gorillaglas screensprotection) (27 Euro):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Retail- ... autifyAB=0

Here are some pictures:

The eqipment from L to R: Ram Mount X Grip, Powerconverter, Qi-Charger, Qi-Receiver , Smartphone +Heavyduty case

Smartphone+ heavy duty case

Ram X Grip with glued on Qi-charger

Thats the mounted state of the cradle and phone is loading.
The ultrathin qi receiver is glued in between the backside of the pone and the protection case and directly mounted to the micro USB Socket of the phone.
Using full navigation mode (GPS on, screenbrightness high) it is loading with around 1 battery percent each 10 minutes.
(My biggest concern was, that it won´t be able to charge the battery enough)

Here a comparision between my old Garmin 650t and the new navigation DIY solution at the same level of map zoom and at full brightness: (both devices using OSM Map material)
The result is imo obvious.

---

Finally i mounted the DIY Navigation System on my 690:

Image.

After navigating arround 2000km with this solution i am really statisfied with it.
The screen is good readable (better than the garmin one) and offers more details. Also the glove mode works well, and also the zoom in/out via volumebutton is a nice handy solution.
The mount itself holds the device well in position with its rubber net. The only contra point is that it is a bit fiddly to put the device in/out of the cradle.
Maybe one of these will be a better solution: https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Squeeze- ... B01IOH8A4S

---

And now to the apps i´m currently using:

Lets start with the homescreen:
I´m using as lucid alternate homescreen the App "LAUNCHER 8". It is simulating a windows phone tile desktop, wich is higly configurable.
For easy Handling i arranged it as follows:

On top: GSAM Battery Monitor widget for checking Loadingstate/current

--
The first tile is a Shortcut to the navigation app called "MAPSME":
The App Mapsme is working completely offline. It is offering detailed OSM maps, which you can install easily from the app on your android device.
There are alos loads of Pois included like: Sights, Restaurants, Fuelstations, Workshops, ATMs, Cathouses ^^, campinggrounds, ...).
This app i am using only for A to B routing on paved streets.
It is good working on the small phone screen and allows to modify the calculated route via intermediate points.

So MAPSME looks like:

--
The second tile leads to the navigation app ORUXMAPS:

ORUXMAPS is AWESOME and MIGHTY. Nearly as allmighty as the payment version of Locus Maps! BUT its for free and without of adds!
This App is handling loads of routing, tracking and map formats completely offline.
(Since doing more and mor offroading iam using OSM Material for tracks aside paved streets. The reason for this is, that OSM Maps are really high detailled regarding gravel and single tracks. IMO no other navigationsystem provider is delivering such a detailed Map Material.)
ORUXMAPS is offering many different Navigationprofiles. (Hiking, Car, Mountainbike, ...).
Depending on which profile you choose, ORUXMAPS shows you the resulting tracks/streets on the OSM Map. (i´m using mostly the Mountainbike Profile).
Additionally you can choose yourself what ORUXMAPS will show you on the map (only show streets and graveltracks and no hiking/climbing trails). There are also different overlays for it (papermap design, Mapsforge desing, Topomap, Altitude lines, ...) That app really did it! With the additional routing app BROUTER it will also do the routing job, but therefore iam using the already above mentioned app MAPSME. Offroad iam only using preplanned tracks.

Here a few pics of it:

Fully customable Quickbuttons (Tracklog, Zoom, ...)

3D Sight for checking the terrain.

ORUXMAPS is for free but you won´t find it in the playstore due google banned it due its donating system. You can find it here:
http://www.oruxmaps.com
(I made a donation because this app is just awesome and is really helpfully contributing my hobby!)

Btw.: A cool feature of Android is to run 2 Navigation Apps side by side:

On Top Oruxmaps, which is following a black trackline planed at home on the computer and below is the app Mapsme running with A to B route, planned on the smartphone/navigation system. Thats just genius (and a bit schizophrenic) :D
--

The third tile is leading to the App GPS TEST:

It´s a easy APP for forcing a fast GPS Fix without Internet. It also includes some nice funtkions like speedometer, time of dusk/dawn, etc.:

--
The 4th Tile: OPERA INTERNET BROWSER
Not much to say on this. I´m using this browser gladly due its data compression which is handy when having bad internet connection.
On my cellphone its also keep the Amount of Data low wile watching to nudes pempering around (roaming etc.). :mhm
--

The 5th tile leads to the App: "Brightness"
Clicking this tile, a quick menue is oppened for easy and fast adjusting/force the desired brighness setting. Easy cheesy!

--
The last tile is simply switching on/off the torch. It comes in handy when searchig
Und die letze Kachel schaltet einfach und schnell die LED des Smartpone-Navis aus und ein, um sie/es als Taschenlampe zu verwenden. Kann ja manchmal ganz hilfreich sein wenn man das "Schlüsselloch" nicht findet. ^^
--

Soo, peps: Hopefully that helped a bit 4 planning your smartphone navigation solution.

There are also plenty information about my motorcycle setup, my trips on my FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/503823096484741/
Cheers. :tools-wrench:
1 x
Nico-D

Re: D.I.Y. Smartphone based Navigation Device with wireless charging... a winter project

Post by Nico-D » Wed May 02, 2018 8:58 pm

That's an interesting setup you've made there, thanks for sharing and explaining . I'm impressed with the screen clarity compared to the Garmin, I use a Montana but wouldn't mind something with a larger clearer screen.
0 x
Boomer

Post by Boomer » Mon May 21, 2018 10:22 am

I like your set up and just got a Huawei p20 pro phone and ordered the love mei case for it. Aa I am 54 and not tech savvy please explain how the ultra thin receiver and Qi charger works while on bike?
Also why do you need power charger plus 12v converter cable?

Please explain in simple terms for me how it all works before I buy anything else?
I am going to be in Bulgaria at end of july/start august so want to try it out? cheers phil
0 x
Lenzwerf

Post by Lenzwerf » Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm

I'd be concerned with heat. I heard that wireless charging makes your phone heat up more than normal charging. I've had my phone stop charging because of the heat in spain so maybe bring a cable, just to be sure.
0 x
cometeus

Post by cometeus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:53 am

@Lenzwerf: Heat wasnt a problem the last 7000km. It charges well. The only problem is that the 690ty is rattling the filgrane qi charger cable to dead. Now i have a broken cable fixed and it still works.

@Boomer: The p20 will be a good phone. The love mei case is massive protection but it has on disadvantage: In my case there is water flowing between the mobile screen and the gorilla glas from the case. Thats no big deal due the screen is recognizing the touches properly.
Iám currently looking for a better cabled waterrpoof qi charger but the market for compact chargers is really small. The ultrathin/ultracheap receiver part is working fine. I have ductaped it to the back of the mobile between the case and the mobile. The 12v converter is needed for regulating the current down to a usb friendly level so the qi charger (USB powered) can work with it. How it works: The qi charger is mounted on the craddle for the mobile, and on top of it the mobile is mounted. Via induction the qi charger transfers the power to the qi receiver on the backside of the mobile.

@all interested: For riding in heavy rain/mudy conditions i recommend you to use the app "touch blocker" on Android. It works simple and avoids that raindrops do some weired Input on your screen.
0 x
uglymr

Post by uglymr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Very interesting setup and apps on your phone. Thanks for sharing.
As I am fed up with Garmin devices and all their problems I was looking around on the internet for suitable Android devices and found the RUNBO F1, F1+ or even newer the F2 with massive batteries and no need for extra protection cases. Starting from € 399.- pretty expensive though but might save one to hassle with charging during the day anyways.
Will let you know after I have decided to get one of these how they work. Cheers
0 x
Cheers Ugly Martin Reichardt
CCM 450 GP + HD Electra Glide (this one not for TET :8 )
Didado

Post by Didado » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:51 am

cometeus wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:53 am

@all interested: For riding in heavy rain/mudy conditions i recommend you to use the app "touch blocker" on Android. It works simple and avoids that raindrops do some weired Input on your screen.
Nice tip. Hadn't thought about that and looked into this. I would suggest Touch Protector instead of touch blocker because touch blocker hasn't been updated since 2014. Touch Protector also has some very nice features.
0 x
dualadventure

Post by dualadventure » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 am

Hey TETers!

After a year of usage / ~ 15000km I got some problems with the here introduced D.I.Y. Smartphone Navigation Device with wirless charging.
Because of that I changed my intital setup. The whole story and the actual setup and further useful hints based on my experience you will find at the following link:

https://www.dualadventure.com/navigation-setup

Imitation is higly desired! ^_^

Cheers,
0 x