OsmAnd Video Tutorials

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Didado

Re: OsmAnd Video Tutorials

Post by Didado » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 am

Thanx, it is sort of what I expected was going to be the reason. The SpringRide track was indeed actually a tracklog from the guys who scouted the track and therefore the GPS breadcrumbs didn't follow the track very accurately. And that off course creates the u-turns and other weird instructions because OSMand assumes I veered off the track.

Basically there is no soft- or hardware at the moment that can give accurate routing instructions if based on a track. Nav systems use the Dijkstra Algorithm which calculates the shortest path between two nodes such as you find on a road network. Like you said, OSMand in this particular case is not following a road network but a track and is constantly recalculating instructions. I find that utterly confusing and besides I just follow the track as a line on the map and don't need those instructions. It's sort of the old days when Dad drove the car and mum was in the passenger seat yelling navigation instructions" Do a u-turn...No go left, no right, go straight!' :teasing-neener:

But it is all about what you are used to.

By the way a Tripy is in essence no different then any of the other devices. It can only calculate 'tulip' waypoints at intersections etc if they follow a road on the digital map. As soon as you follow a goat trail which isn't on the map, it can't calculate roadbook instructions either. You have to draw those by hand in the RoadTracer program on your PC.

David
0 x
ludodg

Post by ludodg » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:40 am

Hello Lenzwerf.
Would you recommend working on a GPX-file, track, using the free Basecamp-software? Or is there other software that is easy to use.
I had several attempts, went through MyRoute, had Tyre in the past, .. but never had the time to really get into this. Found the learning curve a bit steep ...
I would really like to spend more time in Driving offroad with my bike, and using maps, tracks.
Is there software that you would recommend to learn/choose?

Basecamp has lots of youtube-material about it, but it seemed to me that other software can be more updated?
0 x
Lenzwerf

Post by Lenzwerf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:00 pm

I'd recommend basecamp because of all the help you can get. It's been around for a long time so a lot of people can help. It can do everything you need and you can use OSM maps which are the same as many free navigation apps. When you learn to use basecamp you'll probably also learn about the principles of navigating with a gps. In my opinion it's better to spend more time learning and understanding how it works so you won't be surprised by weird behaviour of your gps while on the trip. If you understand it you'll be able to find a solution.

But I think Tyre is a reasonable alternative with some nice features but I want OSM maps and Tyre uses google so for me it's not an option.
0 x
ludodg

Post by ludodg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:10 am

OK, thx.
Guess I'll have to get into adding OSm-maps into Basecamp then. I do not have a Garmin-GPS so no valid map.
0 x
dcrosta

Post by dcrosta » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been playing with Osmand+ settings for a while, tweaking them to my needs and I am quite happy about the result.
There is one thing I can't fix and I hope you will help me solve it.

I would like to display the same map style as the one displayed onto the openstreetmap.org website:

As you can see there are different styles and different colors (grades) for streets, tracks and paths, whereas with the standard map style in Osmand+ there is no difference in color but only in style:

Playing with Osmand+ settings I selected the touring style, which is similar to the web version I am trying to get but still different:

Does anyone know how to properly visualise the same map style of the osm website?
What I would like to get is different colors for paths (red dots) and tracks (brown dashes), such as the default style of the osm website.

Cheers,
D.
0 x