Garmin Basecamp is dead

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

Didado

Garmin Basecamp is dead

Post by Didado » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:45 pm

I've been using Garmin Basecamp for about 3 years now and I always wondered why there haven't been any updates since 2016. I just discovered Garmin Basecamp is dead. Garmin stopped developing the program in 2016. Bummer.

wiki/Garmin_BaseCamp

If you back up to the Garmin cloud, you have until may I believe to get your stuff onto another cloud. Garmin is stopping with cloud support.There are zillions of online routing apps to use but I like Basecamp because it is one of the few with a nice interface that you can use offline. I need that when travelling. Often there's no connection or it is no better then slow 3G. It is also nice because you can install all sorts of OSM maps.

I just discovered plotaroute.com for online routing and tracks. It has nice map options and the premium feature has a very nice split screen between the map and Google Street View.

Now I need to find an MacOS or Windows offline routing app with a decent interface. Sooner or later Basecamp will stop working. I'm already experiencing more crashes and bugs as the OS-es on my computers are being updated.

Something like Qland Karte doesn't do it for me. I find the interface complex and a turn off. Any one have any suggestion?
0 x
WillS

Re: Garmin Basecamp is dead

Post by WillS » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the info!!
That's really bad news, Garmin dropped MapSource for BaseCamp, and now discontinuing with BaseCamp!!!!!
Used BaseCamp for years, and a great programme once you have mastered it!!
So how long have we got, or will Garmin replace with another App.. Let's hope so.
Must be millions of users out there.
Will
0 x