Free Mapping for Garmin Units

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

icemancometh

Re: Free Mapping for Garmin Units

Post by icemancometh » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 am

Didado wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:53 pm

It doens't have bluetooth so on a motorcycle the only option would be to plug your helmet headset directly in the mini jack and then you would need to buy the Garmin Street Maps for voice nav.
Ah thanks ..
So I guess on 4 wheels it'll be the phone doing its duty and Montana if it stays will be for motorcycle only off tarmac.

On the bike i don't like looking at the screen especially in built up areas so keep the voice prompts on.
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:37 am

That's more or less how I do it.
0 x
harryphel

Post by harryphel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am

Linesman-A wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am
For everyone looking for a good collection of sources of free OSM (open street) and OFM (open field) maps have a look on the following wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

Here you find about 50 (!) different download sources for maps having different purposes, styles, layouts, regions.
Thanks for info about mapping. I've just purchased a second hand Montana and I'm new to all this so please forgive me for stupid questions!!

Can someone tell me what is the best or most used for what we do i.e. Trail riding and following something like the TET route please.

Re the link above it gives you various options i.e. MTB routes - etc.

I'm looking to download, ideally a file for various countries that I would like to do on the TET, for example I'm hoping to ride part of the French TET in March and want a map that will allow me to follow the route ideally with contour lines/roads/poi's etc - so I put the map on the Garmin then download the TET France file and follow the track from the device.

From the various options in the link above I've come across this site which looks like it will give me all I need to follow the TET track file??? see link below.

http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/ ... tries.html

Is this correct or would you recommend anything else?

Many thanks
Harry :handgestures-thumbup:
0 x
Didado

Post by Didado » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:06 pm

harryphel wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am
Linesman-A wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am
For everyone looking for a good collection of sources of free OSM (open street) and OFM (open field) maps have a look on the following wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

Here you find about 50 (!) different download sources for maps having different purposes, styles, layouts, regions.
Thanks for info about mapping. I've just purchased a second hand Montana and I'm new to all this so please forgive me for stupid questions!!

Can someone tell me what is the best or most used for what we do i.e. Trail riding and following something like the TET route please.

Re the link above it gives you various options i.e. MTB routes - etc.

I'm looking to download, ideally a file for various countries that I would like to do on the TET, for example I'm hoping to ride part of the French TET in March and want a map that will allow me to follow the route ideally with contour lines/roads/poi's etc - so I put the map on the Garmin then download the TET France file and follow the track from the device.

From the various options in the link above I've come across this site which looks like it will give me all I need to follow the TET track file??? see link below.

http://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/garmin/ ... tries.html

Is this correct or would you recommend anything else?

Many thanks
Harry :handgestures-thumbup:

Yep Freizeitkarte is good. I use it. They are all based on Openstreet map and it doesn't really make a great deal of difference which one you use. I also use the MTB OSM version. It doesn't make much difference if you are following a TET track on a map.

Just don't spend any money on the Garmin topo maps and such. They are expensive and do not offer anything that the OSM maps don't offer.
1 x
harryphel

Post by harryphel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am

Perfect :handgestures-thumbup: Thanks for the info. I will stick with this.

Another basic question. On the montana when I put in the tet route and then choose the "show on map" feature it shows me the route on the map fine - it's a very thin line though and ideally I would like it to be more in my face, similar to when navigating in the car i..e the thick line.

Does this change when you are actually on the route and start following it? or do you still get the really thin line? I suppose I could zoom in.

I told you I was new to this!! :)

All the best
H
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 pm

harryphel wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am

Another basic question. On the montana when I put in the tet route and then choose the "show on map" feature it shows me the route on the map fine - it's a very thin line though and ideally I would like it to be more in my face, similar to when navigating in the car i..e the thick line.

Does this change when you are actually on the route and start following it? or do you still get the really thin line? I suppose I could zoom in.

All the best
H
The track remains as it is whether you are on it or miles away.

The best thing to do is the find the track in Track manager, scroll through the options then press "Go To" the track. This highlights the track in mauve
1 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
Didado

Post by Didado » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am

harryphel wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:17 am

All the best
H
Depends on the Garmin Device. On the recent Zumo's you can change the line thickness if you are a bit computer savy. You can't do it on the device but you have to use this editor for example to change a TYP file on the internal disk of the Garmin. Basically it is an xml file with all the settings according to a specific profile. On the Montana it is not possible.
1 x
harryphel

Post by harryphel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Redball/Didado - All great info and help.

Many thanks.
H
0 x
hilariomedina

Post by hilariomedina » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am

Hello,
I tested the TET map and surprise I see no trails
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jd9Vr6 ... sp=sharing
0 x
Redballrun
TET Puppetmaster

Post by Redballrun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:00 am

hilariomedina wrote:Hello,
I tested the TET map and surprise I see no trails
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jd9Vr6 ... sp=sharing
The TET map that you downloaded is a basemap for your Garmin unit. It gives a corridor of mapping that's all.

The TET tracks when selected in track manager will appear overlaid on top of this map.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

0 x
Trans Euro Trail HQ
KTM 690 RFR, Yamaha XT600Z 3AJ
E-mail: info@transeurotrail.org

I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)