New to gps, questions!

Everything about following the wiggly line and finding the stuff to the left and right of it

Moderator: Linesman-A

mawabo

New to gps, questions!

Post by mawabo » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi there, TET's a great initiative! And I'm gonna make use of it. But: so far I've been using paper maps, compass and the sun to navigate so I am absolute newby with GPS, basecamp etc.
So far I figured out quite a bit through videos and such but I have a couple of questions:
- I see on basecamp that the TET trails are in a specific direction (makes sense), eg from North to South, if I want to follow the track in the opposite direction how do I change the direction?
- I see you guys are mentioning Open street maps, my Garmin zumo 390 has Citynavigator maps for all of europe installed, can I use these as well?
Thanks!
0 x
trunkenpolz

Re: New to gps, questions!

Post by trunkenpolz » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:40 pm

No need to change a direction for a track. You just follow the line.
0 x
Oleksii
Linesman

Post by Oleksii » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Hi there and welcome on the forum!
Your Zumo supports multiple maps. Meaning, if you load some extra ones besides Citynavigator just go to Settings and there go to MyMaps, where you will see the list of maps you have on your device and you will be able to switch on/off them.
To download Openstreetmaps go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl and follow easy steps
0 x
I adhere to the TET CODE OF CONDUCT (click here)
KTM 640 Adventure
KTM 690 RFR (for sale!)
Lenzwerf

Post by Lenzwerf » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi. You can change the direction of a track. You can change it in basecamp and in your device. You don't need another map, the track is all you need because it doesn't use the road info of your maps. You can even follow a track without a map on some devices.
The other maps can be help full because they are more detailed than standard maps.

You can do a lot in basecamp to make your trip better and navigate more easily. EG add waypoints for gas, campsites, stores, etc. You can cut the tracks in shorter pieces and add waypoints at the beginning or maybe for shortcuts in case you need to hurry.

Good luck learning it will be worth it.
0 x
WillS

Post by WillS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:52 am

It's well worth your while to spend a few hours leaning the basics of BaseCamp. There are plenty of tutorials on the web in YouTube.
Also the Help on BaseCamp is very good.
As previous says, you can do a lot on BaseCamp, but you have to master the files and folders, adding to tracks, joining tracks, adding waypoints (POI) etc.
Then once you have done the trail, upload it back onto BaseCamp, then you have the true record of your journey and times with a graph showing altitudes and even speed if you are so inclined..
Good luck.
Will
0 x
mawabo

Post by mawabo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks guys, so for now I stay with the maps I have. Now find out where and how to change the direction of the track.
0 x
hilariomedina

Post by hilariomedina » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:35 pm

mawabo wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:42 am
Thanks guys, so for now I stay with the maps I have. Now find out where and how to change the direction of the track.
hello as somebody already said, you do not need to care of the direction of a track, on normal use. There is no guidance as in a route. You see a line, you follow the line from where ever to where you want. from starting to ending or from ending to starting, event from somewhere in middle of the track. DO not worry for begining
0 x
wimj

Post by wimj » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

I may not be new to gps'es but one thing I didn't solve yet is how to put the giant trackfiles in my gps. They get truncated; no more than about 40 km of track is loaded. Is this a problem specific to my gps (etrex) and if so what gps is capable of loading say the total track of Spain?
0 x
Lenzwerf

Post by Lenzwerf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm

wimj wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm
I may not be new to gps'es but one thing I didn't solve yet is how to put the giant trackfiles in my gps. They get truncated; no more than about 40 km of track is loaded. Is this a problem specific to my gps (etrex) and if so what gps is capable of loading say the total track of Spain?
You need to edit the track. Probably there's a max amount of 500 trackpoints your etrex can handle per track. Solution cut the track into bits of 400km and filter the trackpoints to max 500. It all can be done in Basecamp and there are loads of youtube vids about that.
0 x
wimj

Post by wimj » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks Lenzwerf, so I finally have to dive into the deep (BC)....
0 x